12.10.2007

2 Things: Craft Fairs and Not Reading Poems and Bhanu Kapil

Thing 1: This Saturday I strolled around the KPFA Crafts & Music Fair in San Francisco because my friend Kelly Rae Roberts was their poster crafter and I hadn't yet had the pleasure of seeing her mixed media paintings, in person. It was such a treat to see her layers of paint and paper up close! Her booth was beautiful and her work was one of my favorites. There was plenty of gorgeous pottery, jewelry, woodwork, and various other well-crafted handmade goods but these 3 ladies were 3 of my favorites: Kelly Rae's layered, super textured, inspirational paintings; Earthly Arts woolens made from recycled sweaters; and amazing gorgeous felted creations by Harlequin Feltworks. Quite a joy to be surrounded by so many handmade goodies.

Thing 2: I'm slowly cracking open the poetry books again after many months in post-MFA Poetry recovery. Which translates into: 6 months post-graduation of only peeking at poems w/ the exception of Danielle Dutton's Attempts at a Life and Joshua Marie Wilkinson's Lug Your Careless Body Out of the Careful Dusk and Juliana Spahr's The Transformation and maybe even a few others that did not break the rule of not reading poems until it felt like fun again! And so, this one line from Bhanu Kapil's Incubation: A Space for Monsters:

"4. I am writing to you because it is private and separate, like thinking."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.