2.25.2008

In the Studio: Gocco, Letterpress, and Linoleum

("Songbirds and stitches" now available on Etsy.)

I've managed to wrap up a number of on-going projects this month and I'm so inspired by that finishing-up. What joy to finish something you've had hanging around your home/ studio/ psyche/ to-do list for some time. It comes in waves. It goes in waves. Each project seems to take twice as long as I thought it would and the process changes again and again from conception to realization. (A lesson I continue to learn!) Lately, I just keep telling myself to keep making creative work, regardless of everything else, just stay in the habit of my own creative process. Stay in the process and as a dear friend says, "Keep showing up". Poignant advice, it seems.

So, these note cards are an ongoing project finally finished! A labor of love and a good learning experience too. Through this series I realized that I really enjoy time intensive one-of-a-kind projects w/ oodles of handwork AND I really enjoy working on a larger series where all the handwork is upfront (like printmaking or letterpress). But a time-intensive series, with oodles of handwork each step of the way, is not the most gratifying way to work. So, next time perhaps I'll make one super detailed piece that can be reprinted OR design a series w/ most of the handwork upfront. Thank goodness the creative process continues to evolve!

The details: The blue/ white decorative swirls were printed on a Gocco printer; the text, "To love and to be loving" printed on a letterpress proofing press w/ one of my favorite metal types (named "Typo") set by hand; the songbird is a hand-carved linoleum block that I've secretly named, Oscar; and the red stitching was sewn on my lovely Singer sewing machine. The series is now available in my Etsy shop. A sweet little labor of love.

4 comments:

  1. Very beautiful handiwork...

    :-)

    Have a wonderful day,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are combining print mediums. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you like the Gocco? How good is it at printing solid colors?

    Evan (Dolce Press)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dolce Press. I do like using the Gocco printer because it's so simple to use, and much quicker than letterpress. However I haven't been able to get the same results in the details of the work like I can on a Vandercook. But some folks are doing really beautiful work with Gocco. For me, it's still somewhat new and full of learning. You might want to go to www.flickr.com and search "gocco" or go to www.etsy.com and search "gocco" under "paper goods" to get a better idea of the possibilities. Thanks for your comments & question!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.