5.21.2008

Beloved Junk and Thrifted Treasures

(New color combination: turquoise, avocado, and brilliant bright yellow.)

I've found some good cheap beloved junk lately. Everything you see in this post was purchased for the whopping price of $18. Yup, $18. I mean, c'mon! Even on my current tightly strained artists salary I can certainly afford an $18 shopping spree in the name of recycled treasures, vintage and cultural artifacts, and fun design inspiration. Here's the grand tally:
  • Brown bottle with blue lid, $1
  • Yellow glass vase, $2
  • Small Wedgwood dish, $3
  • 2 plastic plates, $3
  • Corduroy skirt, $3
  • Black vintage chair, $6
(Two new round treasures with fun botanical designs too.)

Beloved treasures, for certain. And ridiculously affordable too. Don't get me wrong, if you have the means then I fully support splurging in the name of quality vintage goods over their new and mass-produced counterparts. But I also delight in finding bargains and satisfying my junking fix even on a very tight budget. I think the thrifty side of me is just as easily appeased as the creative parts and certainly the collector might just be crowned queen under the right conditions! AND these purchases were made in both rural and urban spaces. The small containers all came from a barn sale outside Point Arena and the other goods came from a recent trip to thrift stores in the Mission District in San Francisco.

(The new chair of the house adorned with recent treasures.)

So what will I do with it all? Right. Well first of all, I'll adore it and take pleasure in honing new color, texture, and line design elements around my sweet little home. And then, I'll put them to good use for certain.
  • The little brown bottle will be added to the little brown bottle collection and sit proudly on the windowsill in the bedroom.
  • The yellow vase has already been put to good use by holding calendula, cosmos, poppies, and lavender all freshly cut from the garden this morning.
  • The Wedgwood dish will sit atop my dresser and grow an earring collection all its own.
  • The plastic plates were on the "Camping Wish List" and we'll no longer need to eat veggie burgers out of blue plastic bowls while camping.
  • The corduroy skirt fits like a glove and I mean who could really pass that up for $3?
  • And, yes, that black chair was really only $6. Actually, it was $5.99 at the thrift store on Mission Street @ 17th in San Francisco.
(The chairs and the stools line up for counting.)

I have a thing for beat-up vintage wooden chairs. Regardless of the nicks and dents and scratches, if the chair is sturdy and has "good bones" then I'm apt to bring it home regardless of its surface condition. One day I'd like to have a row of them lining a larger entryway so dear guests might sit there, unlace their boots, and hang their coats on metal hooks above. In the meantime, I have various chairs tucked in corners, acting as end tables and nightstands, and perched somewhat precariously around our one-bedroom urban apartment. I now realize that my chair collection is tied neck-to-neck with my small table collection. Oh goodness, I really am predictable aren't I?

I guess it's like any creative project: eventually you realize the interests and instincts were with you all along, you just had to organize and edit until you could more fully realize the collection.

3 comments:

  1. shauna5/22/2008

    ackk! gawwwwwwwd! loving the mix matched chairs. and the yellow vase! "covet" is the word, I think.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/22/2008

    Love your thrifting finds and glad to see there's actually something affordable in the S.F. area-my daughter lives there. I went thrifting yesterday which is senior discount day at Goodwill. Oh the thrill of a discount on top of a bargain! My booty-2cookbooks,1 birdbook,wooden clipboard(I paint and decopage them for wall art),a wooden box,a shadow box with butterfly in it-I will alter a bit-and pair of leather shoes-never worn, and I spent less than $10.00!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.