5.08.2008

Please Vote in My Blog Poll!


Dear friends: I have a request. See that little poll over in my sidebar just under my profile? Well, I've decided that I need your help and more than that I need your feedback and your vote. Yes, your vote! So you can only choose one topic as your favorite (very favorite) topic on this blog but I suppose if you were really torn between two topics then you could vote more than once. Yes, that seems fair.

I'm in a heady place in my creative life. Which, perhaps, has been obvious to some of you loyal bloggers as I haven't started any new art projects lately and instead have been thinking, writing, documenting, and so on. This is a natural cycle for me but I'm also questioning the path of this here blog and I'd like your input, dear readers. See, I'm always swaying between creative disciplines and as much as I believe firmly in the power of interdisciplinary art and writing and creativity, sometimes I lose the stamina to keep up with so many loves at once.

I mean, not to get overly confessional on you but I can't tell you how many times I've dreamed I could just pick one creative medium and stick to it for life. Yup, for life. Ha! And yet the thought of that makes me laugh. OF COURSE, it's about the process and the willingness to experience our creativity and our authentic aesthetics and so on. Of course.

But, wouldn't it also be lovely to just love painting completely and to just paint and paint and only want to paint? Yeehaw! But, no. And truly without much self-loathing, I just like to create. I make things. I make-up things. I sew. I print. I write. I assemble. I collect. I explore. I sometimes paint. I sometimes draw. I sometimes knit. I oftentimes read. I oftentimes arrange and re-arrange. I sometimes work alone and I sometimes collaborate with others. I love to work with paper, fabric, and found objects, and also the writerly parts are here to stay, for certain. In short: I make things.

So. (Sew.) I would very much like some blogger feedback. Yes, please. And, oh no! I'm not asking you to help me determine which creative interests I should pursue. I will pursue them all in my own sweet time and I will keep experimenting with various techniques and various hybrids and that's certainly what I'll do. Yes, I pinky swear. But for the purposes of this here blog, I'd love to know more about YOU. Yes, you. And your interests. And what you best like to find here among my blog posts and rambles.

So, dear friends, please take 2 seconds to click one topic in the poll on that sidebar. I will leave it up for 2 weeks and then I'm sure to let you know what I think about your votes! It would mean so much to me to get your feedback. And for those of you who are shy and don't like to leave comments, this lets you stay anonymous and comment-free. And for those of you who are happy to comment and would like to say a bit more than just casting one vote, please do so! And THANK YOU for playing along.

3 comments:

  1. there's no all of the above! i would have voted for all of those fun things; in short because, i soooo identify with this:

    I make things. I make-up things. I sew. I print. I write. I assemble. I collect. I explore. I sometimes paint. I sometimes draw. I sometimes knit. I oftentimes read. I oftentimes arrange and re-arrange. I sometimes work alone and I sometimes collaborate with others. I love to work with paper, fabric, and found objects, and also the writerly parts are here to stay, for certain. In short: I make things.

    & that is why i would alllll of the above - i could have written this and i know exactly how you feel. xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too hard, too hard!
    You are asking this of someone who really couldn't figure out which category SHE fit in. And even thought about it for several days after she finally chose one.

    I write and nearly pursued a masters in it so I hate to abandon that category.
    The gawker in all of us are interested in the studio lives of others.
    Junking, of course junking!
    Intrigued by crafty goods.
    Love pics. I've added several inspirational images to the google reader today. Sometimes pics can say what words cannot.
    I can't reach your events but they are interesting to hear about.
    Gawker thing again with the day in the life. Think that one is really a personal choice on how much to let us in.

    So, here is my dissertation on your poll! I think art and life merges and intersects and inspires each other.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree w/ jen and cheryl....

    i think that people come here b/c you do what you do - which encompasses everything you list.... if you attempt to narrow your writing focus we [and you] may miss out on something.... i'd say carry on as you were :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.