6.07.2008

Art Murmur & Rare Device


Last night I went to two great gallery openings: One in SF and one in Oakland. Amy Ross opened her show Shapeshifter at Rare Device in SF and my friend, Jill McLennan, opened her show Cuentas de Mexico at Mercury 20 Gallery in Oakland. The shows were very different but both were equally inspiring and wonderful to see in person and to chat with the artists too. The Mercury 20 show was part of the Oakland Art Murmur so after visiting with Jill, I even had a chance to check out a handful of other galleries in the neighborhood. Lovely, lovely!

The Murmur made me remember how important it is to connect with the local arts community and to be aware of the work being created within just a few blocks of my own studio and home. And what better way to connect with local artwork than through an organized gallery event that includes nearly 20 venues? It's like one-stop showing for a local inspiration fix. And so... Artists + Organized community = Super Duper, in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.