9.26.2008

A Bird in the Hand and...




I have this little wooden barn swallow that hangs from an old white shelf in the hallway but the other day I took it out of the hallway and into the garden and I just couldn't resist "A bird in the hand". And I also couldn't resist a recent bulk purchase of Polaroid film which is currently being shipped my way. Dear Polaroid, we love you so please don't go!

I'm collecting a handful of things: sketches, found photos, magazine pages, collages, lists, stencils, image transfers, etc. I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet. At this point I'm just collecting them for the next project. A book? A box? A digital archive? A collection of scans to print and fold and bind? I'm not sure. I'm just realizing that I'm looking for the next thing. Do you ever do that? Do you ever start collecting and designing before you've admitted your starting something new? I'm just in that inquisitive phase of a project where I'm piling and scattering and moving things around the studio. Perhaps a bit of research will soon follow.

In the meantime, my kitchen table is scattered with your books. Yes, your books! Lovely reads and projects from dear blog friends. And because I've loved them so I want you all to have the chance to love them too. And so, if you haven't seen these great reads already, take a look: Gracia & Louise's And We Stood Alone in the Silent Night; Maria Alexandra Vettese and Stephanie Congdon Barnes' A Year of Mornings: 3191 Miles Apart; Kelly Rae Roberts' Taking Flight; and the sold out but still swoon-worthy The Space Cadets Low Tech Zine by Theresa Rowe. Buy them, browse them, love them--after all, they're yours!

6 comments:

  1. Oh thank god you've also received your Space Cadets e-zine! I was so afraid I had accidentally puchased yours, when I saw your comment about the zine being sold out on thereza's blog (http://ninainvorm.punt.nl/?id=481395&r=1&tbl_archief=&)

    ReplyDelete
  2. again stunning pictures! the last one has such grace and delicacy and refinement, I'm totally in love! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your dress, love the hair.
    and the pretty green fence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to see what you are up to...
    Sometimes I act on an impulse... (see lightbulb over my head...) and sometimes I need to collect things, ideas, characters to start working. I still don't have a pattern.
    Nice dress, by the way
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nina: yes, i got my space cadets zine! they sold out so fast. thanks for thinking of me! ;)

    roxana: thank you, roxana. i felt like i was hitting a bit of a rut so thanks for your kind words. more photos soon! i'm just trying some other things for a minute. just to shake it up.

    kelly: you are such a positive force of lovingness! thanks for your kind words.

    esti: yes, sometimes i act on impulse. sometimes it's very calculated. recently i just felt like i had to switch gears a little bit. give myself permission to break the template, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. great pictures!
    thanks for mentioning the zine. glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.