3.09.2009

A Little Bit of This & a Little Bit of That.

weekend: 1.

weekend: 2.

weekend: 3.

weekend: 4.

Hello friends! The White Elephant Sale was a great success. Yet again, I walked away from the Oakland Museum benefit with a handful of thrifted treasures including 2 new kitchen chairs, a tiny framed vintage farm print, and an army of white vases for our upcoming wedding. So much fun!

In other news, I'm about to spend a few more hours redecorating the living room tonight as my sweetie is putting a final coat of red paint on the new shelves. I've been studying the Apartment Therapy and Domino files and I'm inspired to keep moving the inspiration around our apartment until everything takes a deep breath and I know it just fits. I love that feeling! With the wedding just over 4 weeks away, we are finding pockets of time for rest and relaxation whenever we can. Pockets, that will have to do for now.


compass: 1.

compass: 2.

compass: 3.

compass: 4.

I'm gathering materials for a summer exhibition with some ladies at the One Stone Collective in the Hudson River Valley of NY, though I'm just in the beginning stages. The theme is "compass" and so I snapped these compass photos this weekend. I'm thinking about navigation and how I navigate as an artist, crafter, poet, and woman in the very modern 21st century. Read more about it over here, if you like.

selves: 1.

selves: 2.

selves: 3.

Lastly, I took a series of self-portraits this weekend too. My little attempt to reinvent myself a wee bit in my online profile photos. Do you ever get to the point where you just need a new look? Oftentimes it means I'm due for a haircut, a trip to a beloved thrift store for some junking finds, or it's time to move all the furniture around in the studio. This week, it was all three!

Regardless, some fun new photos to share with you. I always feel a tad funny about self-portraits but have come to embrace them with the rest of my art parts. Not to mention, there are so many amazing artists, feminists, and fashion photographers helping to pave the way. Among them is my dear friend, Emily Drazen, who has a myriad of lovely self-portraits. I sometimes think it's most important to make art that forces us to stretch outside of our comfort zone. Not to stretch so much that we hurt our selves, just enough that our imagination has to face the discomfort and dwell a bit in that new unknown. I'll be back soon! xoxo, k.

8 comments:

  1. self-portraits are hard
    I love yours
    great outfit
    take good care

    ok, thought I was done
    but had to share my word verification
    the word of the day is...
    "slureal"

    I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently took some self portraits and am excited to do more. It really was a wonderful "stretch" that before knowing you I don't think I considered much. Can't wait to share them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheryl: i know, self-portraits can be so hard, can't they? i guess it's the internal critic that makes it tricky. and the way we see our selves and how that's always different than in a photo.

    ambra: hooray! i can't wait to see your self-portraits. yes, the "stretches" are really important in creative work, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As life - many small pieces together....

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing pictures of your lovely self with us! and i loved the compasses and snippets of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gathering materials for an exhibition is inspiring, don't you find? As is that intoxicating feeling of waiting for paint to draw so you can set to arranging. The wait! Ah!

    take care, g xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. marie-louise: absolutely, as life!

    aimee: thanks for the encouragement. i'm excited about the compass project, for certain.

    gracia: yes, i love gathering materials for a project. i often gather much more than i need in the end. but i love that process of dreaming, researching, and arranging. it's quite freeing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will NOT do sp...I just can't. It's just not me, lol. I love seeing others though. Yours turned out wonderful and I noticed the new profile pic the minute your page popped up on the screen. You look GREAT in that shade of blue. Really..it's your color. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.