9.23.2009

Flags of Surrender and a Poetry Reading Too...

..1..
..2..

..1..
..2..
..3..
..4..
..5..
..6..

..1..
..2..

My friends... This morning I put my dear mama on a plane back to New York. She was here for a week-long visit and I couldn't have been happier to host her. She's one of those magical folks that are just instrumental to my very core. One of the folks I hold so very, very dear to my intellectual and emotional make-up. I like to believe their fingerprints will always line the inside of my thinkings. Like my life was shaped this way because they were in it. Like my love was shaped this way because they were in it. Like my hope and strength and determination and purpose were all made that little bit clearer because of their reflection. Those handful of people, you know? I know, you know.

We took a weekend trip up the coast to visit family friends and each morning I managed to take a walk with my husband. We scampered out of the house shortly after waking... camera in tow, sneakers practically mis-laced, hair still full of patches and spots from the sculpting sides of the pillow. I'd been feeling so discouraged by projects almost-finished, technical difficulties out-of-my-hands, general distraction with the sudden change in season, but somehow this daily walking set me straight. I just decided to give in. To waive my white art flag up at the big grinning sun. "Okay then, you win. Today I will just enjoy my mother's company, my husband's good conversation, my old sneakers, my new camera, and this time to simply walk along the coast. Okay, then... I give in."

Oh, and one more thing I want to share, upcoming...

I'll be giving a poetry reading this Saturday night for any of you Bay Area locals. I'll be reading along with two poets who I adore and admire--Kristin Palm and Sarah Trott--two fellow Mills College graduate poets who have gone on to publish their first books. This particular reading is in honor of the very recent publication of Sarah's first book, Planned, just out by There press. (Find the details for the reading on the There website, right here.) Wish me luck at about 7pm on Saturday night, I'll be jittery and eager and anxious with poets and prose. xoxo, k.

9 comments:

  1. oh no! i'll be up in st helena this weekend. how i sooooo wish i could be there. poop. next time let me know too - i would love to come & be supportive and hear a reading! xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bet your poetry reading will be fantastic! love that first photo of wine in a jelly jar (i think that's what it is) - i enjoy drinking wine out of simple glasses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful time was had, I love your description of giving in.

    Best of luck with the reading, I'm sure it will go brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photos! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be thinking of you this Saturday night (at 10pm for me) and sending heaps of good luck thoughts your way... I know you'll do a great job. I loved reading this post, as always, and I know the folks you read to on Saturday will also fall in love with your words. Much like I have since I discovered your beautiful blog. (And did I mention the photographs are beautiful? Because they are.)
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yes - i know :)

    what is it about strings of lights that is so compelling??

    ack. someday i will be able to leave the baby [or bring her] and will be able to attend a poetry reading of yours. it's a small miracle i'm going to go to my own opening next friday! [my mom is coming to help!]

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend, Maria, told me about your blog and I'm loving it so far. Enjoy Saturday night! Too bad I won't be able to attend...maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. jen: there will be other readings, i sure hope. or we can arrange a little reading as part of our collaboration. eep!

    aimee: thank you. i liked that wine in a canning jar too. so simple, right?

    louise: i just had to give in. waive my little white art flag. thanks for the reading luck.

    larraine: thank you! and thanks for visiting my blog too.

    maria: you are so sweet! thank you, thank you, thank you.

    lisa: i hope to be giving more readings in the not-too-distant future. and you're opening is drawing near! i so hope to attend. maybe it's time we reschedule our tea date, with babes i think would be perfect. thanks for the good thoughts, dear lisa.

    denise: thanks for visiting my blog, it's nice to "meet" you here.

    dear friends: the poetry reading was a lovely gathering of poets and poet-advocates and friends. so nice to reconnect with my poetry parts. thank you SO much for your kind words of support...

    xoxo,

    k.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many lovely photos here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.