11.16.2009

The Dresses/ Objects Project: Phase Two


***


***


***


***


***


***


***


***


***


***


***

My dear friends,

The Dresses/ Objects Project continues! Some of you might remember a photo shoot with my husband several weeks ago, which resulted in this batch of photos. Then two weeks ago, I gathered with these amazing Bay Area artists to do a fashion photo shoot in a favorite overgrown park in Oakland. It was so much fun! (And oh, so very nerve wracking too.)

The artists were gracious and gentle and patient and lovely and kind, of course. But I was a bit of a nervous storm, trying so hard to get the photos that I wanted in just one afternoon of sun and splendor. So, after much editing, and a couple more grant proposals finished, I have finally come around to this batch of favorites. You like? Which ones do you like best?

Some of you might recognize Jenifer Lake of Sprout Studio, Mati McDonough of Mati Rose, and Lisa Solomon of Lisa's Musings. They are three local San Francisco/ Oakland based artists and bloggers who agreed to be collaborators on this ongoing project. I am so very honored to add them to the list! (Thank you, Jen, Mati, & Lisa.)

I am now rounding phase two of this long creative endeavor: Phase one was the making of the dresses with 10 other lady artists; phase two is the photo shoot with local Bay Area artists as model collaborators; phase three will be the installation of dresses and photos in an exhibition that resembles a dressmaker's studio, complete with an artist-in-residence making one last dress and a live opening night performance. Eep! Oh, so exciting to move this project closer to it's finale.

Autumn is gorgeous in Oakland with sunflowers, persimmons, and apples on the table as I type. The afternoon shadows are long and lean through the treetops in the front yard; the nights are growing cooler and demanding sweaters, wool coats, and finally mittens; somehow the holidays are just around the corner. In one breath, I am loving November...

xoxo,
k.

14 comments:

  1. love love love this project K

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great project; the way your photography, creativity, even poetry collide in it. And it's nice to see some creative ladies helping you out/collaborating there. I wish I could help you too. Sometimes I forget there's a huge ocean and some more of distance...
    And as for the pictures, i like them all, but I'd point out 1,4,7,8,9,10 & 11
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorites- 1,4,7,8,10!!! but they're all lovely!

    xo you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dresses Objects sounds awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to see more!! they are beautiful & i look forward to more shoots if needed :) xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great to see this beautiful project moving along, katrina! i can't wait to see then next phase. the second to last photo set me on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love love the one of jen and mati laughing and smiling.

    ah... our big "un-model" day. definitely here if you need more shots !

    ReplyDelete
  8. very poetic, and living fabric, that's what i think, living fabric, both the dresses and the motion of the photos and the living, creatives.

    wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the light of these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are so wonderful katrina! and what lovely collaborators you have. this is such an exciting project and i am so enjoying these peeks into the process. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am of course thrilled to see the detail shots of my dress...the best way to photograph it for sure. I am so impressed by your persistence and commitment to this project...it does not got unnoticed! xoxox

    tavalcat...loving my verification word!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aha! I thought I recognized those smiles and hands and other tiny details. Great photos, great project... greatness all round.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Photo #9 is my absolute favorite - that tiny peek of words, and the hand... I don;t know. There is something very tender to me about it. And I also love the light on the first and eighth pictures... There's something very woodlands-forest thing going on in them that appeals to me...

    It must feel great to have accomplished so much already. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving if I don't come around again before then...

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.