11.06.2009

Polaroids and Green Journeys


***


***


***


***


***


***


***

Hi friends. I've had so much fun with 'Roid Week 2009. I must admit, I've been quite addicted to the daily streams: Adding new Flickr friends, finding new favorite photos, and generally basking in the incredible Polaroid talent. (Swoon, swoon.) I managed to use the last of my Polaroid film this week and was hoping I'd be satiated for awhile--maybe until the Impossible Project is ready to go--but, quite the opposite. This week made me realize I want to make another investment in film this winter, maybe even a vintage Polaroid SX-70 Land Camera. They are so darn pretty. And I just can't stand thinking about winter's bare trees without Polaroid film. I'm still hooked.

Above are the photos I entered into 'Roid Week this time around. Some are old and pulled from the archives but most were taken this week. I'm particularly excited about the top 2; I feel like something new moved around in me with those 2 photos. I love it when that happens. When you are going along with your usual artmaking thoughts/ inspirations/ questions and for just a moment, something clicks. Like you have this realization that you just made something new. Do you know what I mean? And then, like meditation, as soon as you are aware that you are meditating it seems the mindful moment has passed. Viola! Gone. But glad it was there, and maybe even that you recognized it.

Lastly, I'm featured over on Lauren Goes Green if you want to take a peek. Lauren is creating a blog about her journey going "green" and asked me to be her Friday Feature. It was a good challenge for me to write about my environmental thoughts and art practices, something I don't always take the time to explain as I scurry along in life + art. If you're interested in a longer post about green thoughts and artmaking, take a peek. Happy day, friends.

8 comments:

  1. katrina, i have just spent the most lovely time having a good catch-up over here, and enjoying your words and beautiful images that always inspire. i hope that your proposal writing went well! sending you (belated) good thoughts and wishes for grants to come your way.
    and i just love the way you've described that moment of making something new, something different from your usual work. that's exactly it. it feels so good doesn't it?
    hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that top photo, the flow of the momentum in the fabric into the fruit, opening out into the curved hands, totally powerful!

    i am "green" with envy by its emotional movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your 2 first polas too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for all your help last week katrina! it was really interesting learning more about the process of what you do. good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those first two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your polas for roid week, each and every one of 'em. Beautiful and glowing softly about the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that second photo...and I adore the way you captured the pretty light on the last one. I'm so glad you had a meditative moment and recognized it - what a gift... Have a wonderful rest of the week,dear.

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful! I like how taking photos can be a reflective/spiritual experience :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.