1.26.2010

Bad Week for the Flu, but the Show Must Go On!


*


**


***


****


*****


*****
*


*****
**

Hello, my friends. The past few days I have been too sick to type about it. I'm still not sure what exactly happened, but let's suffice to say that something attacked my body without mercy and I could do nothing but lay on the couch and wave my little white flag in surrender. Ugh!

As you know, I have a show opening on Saturday night and that's just 4 days away!!! Of course, my previous, optimistic schedule went out the window about 48 hours ago but fortunately, almost all of the work was done: The prints are finished, the photographs taken, the frames and mats purchased and waiting to be filled. But there is still a long to-do list that is being divided into "must" and "would be nice" as the hours tick by.

Here are a few peeks at the prints-on-paper! Hand-carved linoleum blocks of chairs, songbirds, and a human heart; cyanotypes or "sun-prints" created with found household objects; image transfers of vintage photos; a few circles and stars from origami paper; and text from friends who posted their response to "domesticity" and "home" on my Facebook page. There are five prints total, one bigger than I've ever worked before at 16x20 inches, the others are 11x14".

I'm also showing several photographs from a recent fashion-esque shoot alongside these prints. I had hopes to finish one last piece-- 500 collected tea tags in a sewn pattern, to be hung from the ceiling-- but this one might just have to wait. I'm still working on my artist statement, reflecting on how all these parts come together to show my own "DomestiCity". Please keep your fingers crossed that I'm healthy by Saturday night... xoxo, k.

9 comments:

  1. sure will cross my fingers for you! hope you do feel better!

    love this glimpse of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep my fingers crossed, you poor thing. I like your sewing into your artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Katrina..! Such lousy timing. But our bodies are wise and maybe this was the only way to get you to slow down and be well-rested for Saturday. I will be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed (and toes too) for a healthy Saturday night.

    I love the work you posted. I love the little glimpses of text you get to read (thoughts your friends...how wonderful that they get to participate in your work!) I really like the words you chose to show... and of course that ties in perfectly with your photographs of the dresses with the words on them... Oh, it's going to be wonderful, Katrina!

    AND I'm totally intrigued by the tea tags project and can't wait to see it at a later time - after the art show. :)

    Take care of yourself, dear Katrina, and good luck on Saturday.
    It's going to be wonderful, you'll see.

    love,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. fingers crossed. these are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my! fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These images are speaking to me. Quite lovely. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hon, I hope you feel better really, really quick. The show looks/sounds so amazing!

    You will do great, I have no doubt!!
    xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh dear. that sucks. having been sick 3 times this winter i feel your pain. the flu is really no fun.

    hopefully you are on the mend.
    so lovely to see you last sat!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear friends:

    Thank you for such sweet wishes. I managed to find pockets of time to finish the framing and help install the work. The opening was so lovely! And finally, I feel human again. As always, your comments cheer me ahead...

    xoxo,
    k

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.