2.09.2010

A View of the Garden in Winter


for a moment, nothing but blue skies...


calendula, sunlight, silver, & denim...


acacias bloom, my favorite blue meets yellow...


the plum tree has a few pink buds...


patches of chamomile receive an honorable guest...


my mister, after digging-up the potatoes...


butterflies drink from the calendula patch...


rosemary, such a sturdy year-long friend...

Hello, my friends. Since the exhibition opened last week, time seems to have been restored to a more manageable pace. Busy? Yes, busy, but also full of little openings for making slower stitches, reading twisty poems, and taking a cup of tea up to the garden for the breaks between rain. I know that portions of the country are experiencing epic cold--and having spent more than 20 years in the chilly Northeast, I empathize completely. But, we had a bit of a blissful break in weather over the weekend and I took a moment to get a little sun across the bridge of my nose.

I've lived in CA for 7 years. I can hardly believe it, but it's true. Not all 7 years at once, but 7 years total. Though, make no secrets, I still consider myself a New York girl at heart. Of the places I've traveled, the states and cities and small towns I've called home, the beautiful CA blue skies will never go unnoticed. Each time there's a break in our winter rains, I smile up at the clouds with equal parts delight and disbelief.

I'll always miss the NY snow, the romance and promise of a full-foliage autumn, the fireflies in summer, the complete liberation of an East Coast spring. But! I love this CA blue sky like nobody's business. Amen! After the exhibition opened last weekend, I was super inspired and fueled to go back to the studio and start working again. But, I fully admit to a slowed down weekend, complete with a hike, a batch of homemade cookies, a night at the movies, and several hours in the garden.

I do have a handful of handmade things to show you, so I'll be back to do that soon. In the interim, I hope you enjoy these yellows, and blues, and greens... xoxo, k.

5 comments:

  1. Wow - looks like spring is already upon you in CA! Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, kevin. it was an amazing early-spring weekend in oakland. i think the rains will come again, but it was a beautiful break in the garden...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in Chicago and have nostalgic feelings about the Chicago seasons that resemble your NY feelings, but California is beautiful too. I feel lucky to have lived in both places, both climates...

    ReplyDelete
  4. denise: yes, chicago seasons would be much like NY seasons i could guess. the Bay is just too good w/ its frequent lovely days, but oh the snow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love rosemary... it is such a loyal companion.

    I too would miss the seasons (the fall, especially), I think, if I lived in California... But there is something to be said for not having to deal with long, humid summers...

    There is a children's book that I often read to Noah called Grandfather's Journey, by Allen Say. My favorite words in that book:

    "The funny thing is, the moment I am in one country, I am homesick for the other."

    I feel that way about the US and Argentina, which is why I find those words to be so true...and touching. I imagine California and NY are like two different countries in some ways.

    Anyway. I've rambled. Forgive me.

    xoxo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.