I'm currently intoxicated by the cherry and apple blossoms all over Oakland. The weather has been temperamental the past few weeks--sunny & blue & gorgeous one minute, then rainy & cold & full of wind the next. One afternoon when it was particularly blue and balmy, I climbed to the spot in the yard where the apple tree is sounding its petals like one thousand tiny trumpets. From there, I crept under the branches and took these photos of the petals & buds & dotted boughs. The blossoms are like a swirl of pink and white skirts, all movement & flutter & frill; or they are like that band of tiny trumpets & trombones & tubas sounding their music all at once. They are so intoxicating with color & shape & ruffle that if I stare at them too long, I think I might fall over drunk.
Because of the season, I'm making a long list of spring things:
- Love: Sunday was our first wedding anniversary! After ten years together, we were married in the height of cherry blossom season last spring. So sweet.
- Prints: I have a handful of prints in-progress. A table full of thread, linoleum blocks, one-line poems, drawings, and stitches too.
- Dreams: I am hunting for a new studio space. I would like a better ventilated studio, more natural light, and a few like-minded artists to share it. Yes, please.
- Baking: Strawberry rhubarb pie is 100% spring! We made a pie last night and it is simply delicious!
- Design: I'm pouring through interior decorating books once again, it's time for a spring cleaning and purging too.
- Gardening: Our garden is a beautiful mess of blooming vegetables and gigantic weeds: sweet peas, lettuce, fava beans, garlic, onions, chard, chamomile, calendula, and rosemary grow & thrive regardless of our weeds.
- Inspirations: I'm collecting images of gray wool, natural linen, tan cottons, and brown kraft paper too. I want to combine these neutral things with big bold bohemian prints, swirls, & blooms in surprisingly bright colors.
- Words: I'm slowing working on a new collection of poems about water.
- Stitches: I just purchased a few yards of African fabric at a local shop. I'm going to make myself a simple summer dress.
- Before I go: I just love this quote about spring: Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. ~Rainer Maria Rilke.