7.27.2010

I Love Film.

Hello my friends,

As some of you know, I have a special soft spot for medium format and instant film. Don't get me wrong, I love my digital camera through and through but I continue to be moved by analog film in a different way than I'm moved by digital. Perhaps there's a scientific reason behind the processing? A chemical effect that makes film feel different than digital, regardless of the composition or content?

I'm not sure what it is, but my heart skips a beat for film and I think this love affair is really only beginning. I dare say I take 100 digital images to every film image, but I have a few new film images I want to share with you. (If you're curious, you can see more film here.) A little bit of my summertime on film...


***


***


***


***


***


***

So, if you have a scientific reason for the difference in digital and analog film, please share your expertise with me! And if you just agree to the difference in feeling--call it texture, essence, shadow, element, or even emotion--then I think that's perfectly acceptable too. xoxo, k.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. scientific? no
    heartfelt? yes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Lisa. I think she's dead-on. And I do love the fact that it forces you to slow down and really think about what you are doing. You need patience, and then it's like Christmas morning when you get to see your photographs... It seems to require more craft than digital, maybe? I don't know. It's like you are closer to the process with analog - the difference between growing your own vegetables instead of going to the grocery store. Maybe. Something along those lines...

    xoox,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. SB: thank you! and thanks for visiting my blog. nice to "meet" you here.

    lisa: yes, yes, yes. heartfelt, for certain.

    maria: oh, your description is just perfect. perhaps it IS about slowing down and fighting off things that are disposable, even digitally disposable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, I really like that first one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. toemailer: thank you! and thanks for visiting here too. -k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't shot film in years, and yet it sounds like a good idea for this fall. Digital shots seem much easier to achieve, we have so many chances and instant gratification. With film, there's the mystery, the thought, the planning, all part of the process.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.