8.10.2010

Letterpress, Oh, Sweet Letterpress.

***

Hi friends,

I want to show you a sneak peak of another project I've been working on this summer. Some of you might remember that I used to work as a teaching assistant in the Book Art Studio at Mills College while finishing my graduate work in poetry. I loved working with the letterpress and bookbinding students to incorporate images and text into paper and fabric projects. I also loved having access to all that gorgeous letterpress equipment including drawers of wood type, stacks of ornamental borders, and an assortment of movable metal type.

So, this summer I was given the opportunity to print alongside a dear letterpress friend and I wholeheartedly leaped at the chance. I've only been able to join her a handful of times, but it's been such a sweet homecoming. Here's a tiny peak at some of the projects I've been designing and printing, complete with an ink stained apron and a bit of afternoon sun.






It's been so satisfying rekindling my love affair with letterpress that I think I need to have regular access to this equipment in my studio life. Perhaps I will remedy this, this fall. I can't imagine a better way to bring in autumn than with some fresh new printmaking kicks. (Okay, so homegrown pumpkins and hand knit scarves and warm apple cider might also be quite nice, I admit.) So, as soon as the prints are done I promise you'll be the first ones to know.

And happy August to you. xoxo, k.

7 comments:

  1. What bliss! I've only been able to spend one day with letterpress but even then understand your love of it. Your work looks gorgeous and I hope you get to incorporate letterpress more often. xo lj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of letterpress and the work I've seen done with it definitely make me want to have a try at it one day. I think it goes back to this thread you've bee talking about - being close to the process of the things we make and eat... The glimpses of your work look lovely, dear. Can't wait to see more.

    xoox,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Louise... what bliss! Sounds and looks like all the right ingredients for a brilliant and creative summer. I have yet to explore the fantastical world of letterpress but your post makes me all the keener to do so.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. me: thank you!

    louise: oh, i think you would love letterpress very much. it's such a joy.

    maria: so nice to see you here! yes, you should certainly try your design eye at letterpress. and i LOVE what you've written about "being close to the process of the things we make and eat". love this much.

    gracia: yes, i think you and louise would just love it so much. i can see letterpress worked into your future collages. as if they could get anymore lovely!

    off for a summer vacation,
    k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karine Ardault8/17/2010

    These are lovely cards. I hope than one day I will have the opportunity to attend a letter press workshop...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, going to check that out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.