10.05.2010

One-of-a-Kind Necktie

Hi friends,

I've been commissioned to make a one-of-a-kind necktie for a very special author. I've made a bunch of dresses in my day, a smattering of handbags, a stack of pillows, a pair of quilts, one (and only one) pair of pants, batches of fingerless gloves, but nowhere in my list was there a necktie. I thought the ever-dangerous thought, "How hard can it be?" and that's where I slipped. Argh! As it turns out, the point on a necktie is a tricky little point, indeed. Hmm...

I've chosen mostly muted hues but I couldn't completely put my penchant for print and color aside. I love this fabric so much that I had to use it for the lining.


Otherwise, the necktie is mostly gray, plum, and lavender with just that peek of orange.


This fabric makes an appearance again, from The Dresses/ Objects Project, as he wanted a Gertrude Stein necktie after he saw the show.


I only had a few panels of the printed fabric left, so I used Denyse Schmidt's book, Quilts, as inspiration to make a patchwork, or rather "patch-stripe", necktie.


In my opinion, sewing patterns are best used as paper for handmade books! I have such a hard time reading sewing directions. I appreciate the size templates, but then I pretty much have to abandon the pattern and figure it out on my own.


Once I had the pieces for the front sewn together, the biggest challenge was getting the point of my tie (right) to look like my husband's tie (left) including the lovely shape of that lining.


Eventually, after watching this video on Threadbanger and reading this post on Purl Bee, I took matters into my own hands and used a hand stitch to get the effect I wanted. Finally, it's starting to look like a necktie! Now, I just have to stitch the two sides together and then I'll be finished.


Oh, and this week's flowers, you ask? Those are orange Diablo cosmos from the farmer's market in Oakland. One of my greatest farmer's market pleasures is an armful of fresh cut flowers wrapped in newspaper print for the amazing price of just 5 dollars. Yes, yes, please.
xoxo, k.

P.S.--I just came back to show you the finished tie. (See below.) I think it turned out okay in the end. Thank goodness!

xoxo, k.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I never thought of doing something like this. What a great gift for those important men our lives. Thanks for the ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...one (only one) pair of pants..."

    yes, but those were SOME pants!

    (p.s.- the tie looks darn beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - it is turning out beautifully! It makes me want one for myself, but I am not sure I would get much use out of it... You are full of talent, that is for sure. (Talent and beauty and a smashing personality. Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't think i'd be brave enough to try a tie !!!!

    and those flowers... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. amma: so glad you like it. thanks for visiting here.

    shauna: yes, those were SOME pants! nice to see you here, friend.

    kj: you are too kind! the tie is done and done. thank goodness.

    lisa: i really didn't think it would be so hard. i should know better than to think that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks super... i would have never managed to pull this off! so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh! i think he will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aimee: you could totally do it! where there's a will there's a way when it comes to me and my sewing machine. we wrestle it out and sometimes, i win!

    jen: my fingers are crossed that you are correct. this friday will tell...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.