11.16.2010

Art Barn Dreams









***

I love this place. I mean I really, really, really love this place. There's something about Pierce Point Ranch and the Tule Elk Trail at Point Reyes that just nestle right into the coziest chamber of my California heart. Perhaps it reminds me of the barns behind my childhood home where the lawn mowers sheltered nests of mice for the winter, and once upon a time, the chickens would cluck and coo under the huge willow tree.

Or maybe it's not the hushed whisper of the past but the quiet promise of the future. Or the big pretty dream. Maybe the collective urban artist dream for a well-ventilated, well-lit, rustic space to convert into an art studio. The dream for so much square footage of potentially messy space and storage space and creative space that we just might lose track of the extra inches that we are currently counting. Oh, sigh.

I love this place. Did I mention that? I really, really, really love this place. If I could, I'd move there and start an artist residency center and create community arts programming and figure out how to get the most artists the most studio space and I'd happily print, and sew, and take photos, and write poems from a good-sized barn studio of my own. I imagine looking out to the elk and quail and barn swallows all passing by in the tall beige grass beyond my studio window.

And I'd add a big shaggy dog and a few sweet cats and probably half a dozen clucking and cooing chickens too. Maybe a few sheep or some goats after I settled. And all of you could join me there too. Yes, every last one of you. And we'd live happily ever after. Yes, we would. We'd live happily ever after in our well-ventilated, well-lit, rustic space converted into an art studio. We'd live happily ever after. The End. xoxo, k.

11 comments:

  1. "Or the big pretty dream." Yep, I like the sound of that, and the animal menagerie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll come with you. so gladly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. count another 2 adults, 1 child and 2 dogs in! that space fits you so completely, i can't imagine you NOT living and creating somewhere like it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds fantastic to me !!
    let's make it happen !!
    [and we'll be at renegade too. first time. daunting!]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know of your dream, dear friend... and you know what? I know you're going to make it happen, too. I just have a feeling. I do.

    much love,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. friends: you make me happy. it's that simple. you make me happy. thanks for your comments and creative community and for cheering me on in these dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11/30/2010

    I was married right there 6 years ago at the trail head to the Tule trail, in the grove of eucalyptus, overlooking the buoy out in Tomales bay.
    We got permission from the golden gate rec area headquarters and were there at sunrise with only our parents and two witness elk above us on the ridge. hushed, fogged in a bit, then it burnt off and was splendid.
    perfect perfect, i am so grateful for that magical place.
    could be a great art center, but I also love it deserted and mystically intact in the blanketed fogs or brilliant sun and breezes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.