4.25.2011

The Stories in Our Stitches


(I'm starting a new "up-cycled" shawl project)


(A twist on the Rose Shawl designed by Natalie Chanin)


(It will be a sister to my first Alabama Chanin-inspired shawl)


(Made entirely from recycled t-shirts and many hand-stitches...)

***

I like to have a sewing project that I can flop across my lap at the end of the day and quietly get lost in my stitches. Big sewing projects at the sewing machine are something I also adore, but there is something so simple and satisfying about having a creative project that is quiet, transportable, and also lap-sized.

I used to feel this way about knitting too. There's something meditative about the act of creating without the use of a machine. Don't let me fool you-- I proudly take part in my life via laptop, I revel in the features of my digital camera, and I love my portable Singer sewing machine--but I am equally swooned by the quiet act of a thread and needle. Or a pencil and notebook. Or the way ink lifts from a linoleum block when it's been printed by hand.

I think there's a different resonance in work that's been made entirely by hand. Not that there's a hierarchy, but just a different frequency or story or sound. I like to think the stitches actually hold stories about the lives of the people who made them. I like to imagine the thread marks are like tiny letters or symbols or codes dashing across the fabric, telling us stories without ever saying a word.

xoxo, k.

4 comments:

  1. Didn't Natalie Channin just swing thru Oakland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. kevin: hello you! nice to see you here again. yes, i believe natalie was in oakland recently, i remember seeing a poster for her trunk show but, sadly, it was during my office hours. i hope to meet her one day, in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a beautiful depth to hand created items, especially those made leisurely and with love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. denise: so true, so true.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.