7.25.2011

Natural Objects as Art and Inspiration

Source: etsy.com via Katrina on Pinterest



Source: etsy.com via Katrina on Pinterest





Source: etsy.com via Katrina on Pinterest



Source: etsy.com via Katrina on Pinterest



Source: etsy.com via Katrina on Pinterest










This evening I am all things leaves, pine cones, mold, feathers, and stone. You and I both know I have a stack of projects-in-progress on my studio work table but it's so much more fun to show you a little collection of nature-inspired crafty goodness. I can't imagine a time in my life when a wander through the forest or a few hours at the coast didn't reset my inspiration and inspire new projects. Perhaps the two are truly linked for some of us, some of the time.

I love how these artists are not just using natural objects to inspire their work but they are oftentimes using the object to make the actual artwork (as is the case with the leaf prints, crochet stone, and pine cone assemblage too). And they are not just looking at the grandiose landscape or the always-inspired horizon but they are isolating the tiniest object and making it a world all its own.

Sometimes I want to tackle the grandiose through theory and debate and research and then more research. And sometimes I just want to be very, very quiet and grow intimate with the fragile details of things. The older I get, the more time I want with the details and the more time I want to study the details carefully. Perhaps it's like that infamous Robert Frost quote, "The only way around is through."

xoxo,
k

6 comments:

  1. What a perfect quote. All of these pieces are so inspiring. It was a nice moment of quiet scrolling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good quote, really good, and nice collection of images. I especially like the spring tea towel. You have me thinking of a little shop in downtown Point Reyes Station. I always stop and admire the artwork made with natural objects on display in their window. Maybe next time you are in the area you can take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pieces. I kept scrolling through thinking, "oh! I like that one, no that one, oh! look!". Gorgeous, really. And that leaf? Speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes to research
    yes to details
    yes to going through

    ReplyDelete
  5. tracy: i love that quote too. so glad you liked the images.

    denise: i think i've been in that shop! i think i spent almost an hour in that shop inspired by all the beautiful things. oh, what a nice connection.

    nicolette: i know, they are all so beautiful, aren't they? such talented artists and crafters among us. the leaf is incredible, i agree.

    lisa: yes to saying yes! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.