A frock! I haven't made a dress entirely from scratch in too, too many years and I decided it was time. I wondered if I could dislodge the dress pattern that was once ingrained into my sewing brain, drag it from my mental sewing archives, and decipher it enough to make a summer frock. Yes! The answer is yes. I can. I did. I remembered enough. I found this pretty fabric at my favorite Berkeley fabric store, Stonemountain and Daughter, and obeyed when it demanded I purchase it and bring it home for a future life as a dress. (I obey the fabric store when it makes demands.)
I gave myself two new challenges in making this simple dress--pockets and a button-down top. I knew I would be recalling the pattern from memory and that, measurements aside, I could pretty much make this one up based on dressmaking experience of years past. The pattern is truly that simple. The pockets were a cinch (many good tutorials online if you just Google search, "how to sew pockets".) But a button-down top required a little more planning. I made a few mistakes, corrected a few mistakes, and continued on my path of frock making. An overdue rendezvous with my old buttonhole maker presser foot and... voila! Dressmaking in progress.
So, there are a few things I would change next time--a more fitted waist, pleats closer together in the back, maybe a slightly higher hemline--but for the most part I am quite happy with my new summer frock. It's washable, wearable, chase-after-a-crawling-infant-able, and it fits just like I imagined. Now, of course, I want to make a dozen more in various lengths and colors and fabrics. Okay, maybe a dozen is just a wee bit ambitious.