8.13.2012

Two Upcoming Workshops for Artists






Dear friends,

Let me switch hats for just a minute. Or, more specifically, let me show you another hat I rarely show on this artist/ lifestyle/ studio blog. As many of you know, for over 12 years I worked in nonprofit arts organizations in programming, development, and special events. I worked with 100s of artists to secure grants, plan events, and better define their strategic goals. I loved this work. I was super committed to this work. But I took a break from this work, and a full-time desk job, in February to extend my maternity leave, focus on a few creative projects, and quite simply to take a breath.

So, I'm very excited to share this experience in two upcoming workshops in the Bay Area. The first workshop is Application Nation: Grants, Residencies and Fellowships for Artists at Teahouse Studio on Saturday August 25. We'll discuss researching, preparing, and submitting these applications and how to knock them out of the park. We'll examine the usual application parts: project narrative, artist bio, artist statement, budgets, work samples and how important it is to have quality documentation of your work. For registration and details click here. Teahouse posted an interview with me complete with bushels of information about securing support for your creative work--I love those ladies at Teahouse.

The second workshop is Fundraising for Individual Artists at Intersection for the Arts on Sunday, September 23. I worked at Intersection for nearly four years so this is a bit of a homecoming workshop for me. This will be similar to Application Nation but we'll focus solely on fundrasing through grants, individuals, events, and online campaigns like Kickstarter. The first workshop focuses on various types of support for artists--money, time, community--and the second focuses solely on raising funds for your work. Similar, but different.

So, if you're an artist in the Bay Area I hope you'll join me. And if you aren't in the Bay Area, stay tuned! I'm considering offering online workshops too. This would take some time to develop and it's just in the research stages but I'm curious. Maybe fundraising and organizing. Or poetry workshops. Or sewing and printmaking workshops. Or maybe crafting and homesteading workshops. Maybe all of the above! Though, I promise, not all at once. 

xoxo,
k.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great couple of workshops. Wish I could join!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be VERY interested in it if you would offer an online version, since we have nothing of the sort near here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea, Katrina! This is something I have amazingly never looked into for my own work, I have no idea why, perhaps intimidated by all the paperwork or have no idea where to look. I'm going to have to see how I can escape from Sonoma to make it to one of these ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. kevin: thank you, thank you! i wish you could join too.

    amanda: good to know. a handful of folks have said the same thing on various social media sites so i'm going to keep considering this for another time. thank you for letting me know.

    kathryn: yes! you should definitely research grants for your work. you'd be a great match for some funding sources. and i'm SO sad we couldn't make it to sonoma. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. online! or in person, i'll work on getting you to come east!

    ReplyDelete
  6. pilar: i'm doing some research on offering online classes. until then, come to california! and i would gladly offer a class on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.