11.15.2012

Oh, my gosh! I won...


The Country Living Blue Ribbon Blogger Award in the Craft Category! I must have read the award email six or seven times before it actually felt real. Such an honor. And I'm humbled, really. And shocked. And also just so darn proud of this little corner on the internet.

I started this blog five years ago when I was fresh out of an MFA program in poetry, teaching students in a college Book Arts studio, and finding my footing as an excited artist outside of academia. This virtual space became my weekly deadline. Working four days a week for nonprofit galleries and theaters, I made boundaries around my Mondays and spent that entire day--morning 'til midnight--in my studio. At the end of my studio day I would post a blog. That's how it started.

And then it evolved into a space of its own. It became my weekly space to write. To reflect. To commune. To show my work-in-progress and to meet other artists from around the world. It was thrilling. It was encouraging. It was vital. It was like a real-life educational program in contemporary art, craft, and design. And, mostly, it was my new community of artists and some of these artists have become my dearest friends. Kind of magical, really.

So while you read this I have already been flown to NYC to accept the award at the Blue Ribbon Blogger Luncheon. (Omg, that was such a hard secret to keep!) They will have ordered a car to drive me from the airport to my hotel, put my little family up in a lovely spot on the Upper West Side, and invited me into the Country Living Magazine headquarters to celebrate with seven other winning bloggers. To say I am excited is an understatement. Elated might be more appropriate. Nervous would be appropriate too.

So, this is the part where I thank you. Yes, you. Because if you hadn't been here alongside me commenting, following, encouraging, and supporting my blogging efforts then I'm sure I would've closed this virtual space many years ago. So, thank you. From the bottom of my pitter-patter heart. Thank you for joining me here on Mondays as I write, make, dream, and document my studio life.

Oh, my gosh. I won.

xoxo,
k

10 comments:

  1. so thrilled for you! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's incredible news - Yay Blue Ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Davis (our Gateways teacher) had a sign up in our room that said "Yes, You can." I always dig back, dust my memory off, and find that when I need it. It's true. You can, and you did. Congratulations!! We all knew you could!

    ReplyDelete
  4. big congrats katrina! so fun. can't wait to hear about the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh course you won! Knew it! Congrats and hope the event was a wonderful one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. denise: thank you, friend.

    kim: eep! thank you.

    kevin: hooray! thank you.

    beth: omg, i loved this story! you are kind. and encouraging. thank you!

    shash: phew. i did it!

    kathryn: aw, you are kind. i was shocked. thank you! a lovely trip, for certain.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. candylei: thank you so much! thanks for visiting me here too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! (OMG...reading Beth's comment about Mrs. Davis brought back memories...I miss her)
    And of course you deserve the award. You are wonderfully creative and you add beauty to this world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.