12.22.2012

Let's Make Things: Stocking from a Wool Skirt


I have found my holiday crafty spirit, after all. Seems it was just waiting patiently in the bottom of the coat closet with the Christmas decorations. Phew! I made a wool stocking for my son and wanted to share that tutorial with you here. (Somehow, this prompted a redesign of my tutorial section too. Oh, goodness.) In my dream world, these projects would be the beginning of my very own craft book-- using found, foraged, and recycled materials to make art and crafts. So, I'll share some of these project ideas with you in 2013. Fun, right?

I've added the complete stocking tutorial to my sidebar: just click here. It takes you through the steps and shows you photographs along the way. A few years ago, I was in my favorite San Francisco thrift shop just before the holidays and I was smitten with all the pretty vintage wool skirts. Smitten with their colors, textures, and plaid patterns, but not so smitten with the way they fit. I mean, who really has a waist that tiny and hips that perfectly round? So I knew I wasn't going to wear the skirts, but I did want those pretty winter wools in my midst.

So these stockings were my solution. I hope you'll get out your scissors, thread, needles, and fire up your sewing machines while enjoying this last-minute holiday craft. It's so satisfying to have handmade stockings hanging by our tree. I tend to do my best projects when I'm up against a deadline and Christmas being just three days away, well, that was good motivation for the little one's stocking and the rest of the holiday decorations too.

Dear friends, I hope your holidays are very merry and very, very bright. I'm going to take the next two weeks to enjoy my family, get cozy, get crafty, and generally take a holiday break. I'll see you back here on Monday, January 7th to welcome the New Year.

xoxo,
k.

4 comments:

  1. Those fabrics are wonderful, lucky find! Your tree looks beautiful. Just finished ours this morning, ten trees left in the last lot left in town! And I see a wonderful book in your future, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a merry ol' Christmas too. May the relaxation and joy be much. The good food and love and company too. Happy Christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stockings are fabulous, Katrina! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kathryn: yes, i was lucky to find a stash of pretty plaid wool skirts all grouped together at the goodwill. i think they were waiting for me. and a book! my fingers are crossed.

    gracia: many joyous wishes to you my dear friend far across the pond!

    andrea: thank you! and happy new year to you too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.