1.08.2013

Holiday Happiness and Welcome 2013











Dear friends,

There was food and more food. There were decorations and more decorations. There was baking. There was more baking. There were presents. There were long hikes in the woods. There were small gatherings of friends. There was champagne. There was hot tea. There were knitting needles. There were new books. There were movies. There were visits in the homes of various friends. There was a birthday. (Okay, there was my birthday.) There was a general attempt to slow down and unplug and rest. Yes, yes.

I'm a New Year's baby and so the New Year does not just symbolize the change in calendar year but also the change in my own age. New Year's Day is a very special day around here as my husband has generously hosted a New Year's Day brunch for the past 10 years. Some years they were very large--I think 26 was our largest--and other years they were very intimate and small. This year was quiet and cozy with just five adults and our little Max. It was lovely. The chocolate cake was divine and my mister even wore a bow tie.

My studio is ready for the New Year too. There are to-do lists and books and stacks of research for upcoming projects. I have purged two bags full of materials and other studio oddities and have purged nearly eight bags and a small stack of objects from the apartment at-large. I am making way for 2013. My inspiration wall has been stripped clean and I am slowly putting it back together again. Things are bare and shifted and ready to be put into motion as the New Year charges ahead.

Dear 2013, I welcome you with open arms and a car filled for the goodwill!

xoxo,
k.

PS--The gingerbread cupcakes with cream cheese frosting were truly amazing! The recipe is here for cupcakes and here for frosting. And the cookies are peanut butter following this recipe but we melted chocolate chips, milk, and a dash of vanilla for the centers instead of using candy. Hint: Ten minutes before they come out of the oven, push the centers down with the end of a wooden spoon to make a little pool. Once they cool, pour the chocolate sauce into the center. Yum!

7 comments:

  1. I think I need to make some of those cupcakes! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a wonderful holiday season! I loved looking at your photos. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday and happy new year, my friend! Isn't 2013 going to be awesome!! Happy studio time and see you in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shauna1/10/2013

    Pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO looking forward to seeing you on sunday my dear. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. kevin: the cupcakes were amazing. happy new year.

    andrea: thank you! happy new year to you too, sweet woman.

    belly: thank you!

    kathryn: yes, i would like to request that 2013 is awesome please. see you soon. i can't wait.

    shauna: thanks, love. and 1/2 because your house is so pretty.

    jen: yes! never enough time with you somehow. lucky us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.