2.14.2013

All You Need Is Love.






 Dear friends,

It started with 16 pieces of red paper, a pencil, a pair of scissors, a hole punch, and one very long piece of twine. And then I convinced them to pile into the car and head up to the parks that run along the hills over Oakland. And then we found a place with two trees close enough together that the twine would stretch between them but far enough apart that we could stand between the trees and not bother anybody. So, no paths. No hillsides. No parking lots.

And then the sun was quickly setting on the other side of the hill so we couldn't fuss with the light settings on the cameras for too long because the light was simply slipping. Then the two of them started playing behind the sign--he would toss the little one into the air and the little one would giggle and squeal and then he would catch him again and then they would repeat. I fidgeted with my light meter. Stuffed my cold hands into my skirt pockets. They played in the dirt and waited until I was ready.

And then I told them to hold very still for as long as they could hold very still. And then I hit the timer and raced up the hill and grabbed his hand and turned around just in time for the shutter. Click. And after the shutter the little one would point and clap and wait for me to run down the hill hit the timer then up the hill and wait for the shutter. Click. And then the sun kept slipping and I wished we had gotten to the top of the hill sooner. But it's true. It's true what they said, and I believe it...

All You Need Is Love.

Like I still believe in chocolate hearts wrapped in red foil. Like I still believe in flowers brought home by the fistful. Like I still believe in the huge valentine he drew with chalk on the sidewalk just outside my apartment door. I'm not sure, maybe twelve years ago, now? Maybe it was only eleven.

Happy Valentine's Day, dear friends.

xoxo,
k.

20 comments:

  1. Love the image and idea. All you need is love. But a more patient baby and some fill flash wouldn't hurt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! i'll keep the baby as he is but i think i'll take fewer chances with the setting sun.

      Delete
  2. Love it! Happy Valentine's Day to all the believers out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! to the believers.

      Delete
  3. I love these. Take a look at Pic #2. Off to the left, over the rock, there is a clearing in the trees. I see a distinct shape of a heart. Even the trees are feeling the vibe! I love the love that went into the letters, the shoot and even the elbow patches on that little red sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hearts abound! i love that you saw that. and that you know the story behind my beloved elbow patches. they ARE trusty.

      Delete
  4. super fantastic lovely ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, lady. i'll have to try again when the sun is on my side. maybe i'll make an entire project of it--photographing various lovers under the banner of the beatles optimism. yes.

      Delete
  5. beautiful katrina! i like the fading light and still glowing red bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, thank you, shash. it felt like a super photographer lighting mistake but i was still happy that we tried.

      Delete
  6. Amazing! This made me grin ear-to-ear. Thanks for sharing, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you liked it! and thanks for visiting here, sweet you.

      Delete
  7. I love this blog post. It is absolutely precious. I was introduced to your blog back in November via my daughter, Andrea (at Keeping It Cozy). I really enjoy your style of writing and your amazing creativity. Congrats on your Country Living win!!! ~ Dori ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dori--welcome here! how sweet that you are andrea's mother. one proud mama you must be--she's amazing. i'm honored to know you are inspired by my little spot on the internet. thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous2/19/2013

    This just might be my most favorite one of all!
    Very clever my darlin'. momma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, hi mama! thank you...

      Delete
  9. Happy Valentines Day my lovely wife. (a few days later, but thinking back...) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy valentine's my sweet! lucky lady i am.

      Delete
  10. How did I miss this post? So sweet, Katrina! Love the pictures of the three of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. andrea: such a fun project! now i'm determined to re-shoot this when there is better light. next time...

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.