2.25.2013

My New (Modern) Mini Quilt

 


There is so much inspiration in the modern quilt world that I have a hard time not falling down the endless rabbit hole of quilting websites, blogs, shops, books, and fabrics. My great-grandmother's handmade quilt hangs lovingly over the foot board of our vintage bed while the crib quilt I made for our son is stacked in the nearby pile of baby blankets. The legacy in quilting is palpable--I can literally trace the stitches of my great-grandmother's quilt while folding the one I made for my own son.

I would like to think I'll make many quilts over the span of my own lifetime. I'd like to try several different quilt patterns (This variation on Flying Geese is at the top of my list) but mostly, I'd like to make several designs myself. I'm so moved by the Modern Quilt Guild and the endless possibilities of the modern quilt movement. I mean, the QuiltCon2013 conference in Austin, TX looked Amazing from across the interwebs! I mean, Amazing, with a capital "A". The list of panelists and teachers alone sent me into remorse for not hopping on a plane and booking a hotel room just to be among their Amazingness. (That capital "A", again.)






More practically, I just finished this mini quilt for next week's lesson plan for the Interwoven online class and it has me swirling with all things quilty. Making lists of quilters showing their work in a fine arts context, charity quilt-a-thons, crafters using quilting as one more way to make their homes DIY and anti-mega-industry and reclaiming the simple satisfaction of the homemade, and the amazing lists of websites, fabric designers, crafters, artists, shops, and books that have accompanied this amazing modern quilt movement. Good grief.

Making this mini quilt was also a good excuse to experiment with several of the fabrics from Anna Maria Horner's Field Study line in the Patina Palette. I ordered an entire set of fat quarters because I loved the designs that much. This is the first and only time I've ordered an entire set of samples from one line but I was certainly not disappointed. Wow. I just love all those clashing patterns and colors at once. So will our nightstand--it needed a burst of color too.



xoxo,
k

5 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina,
    I've enjoyed reading your blog and I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out my post about it and see if you would like to participate!
    http://www.spoolsandskeins.com/2013/02/26/the-liebster-award-part-deux/

    Thanks,
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is so sweet of you, alexis. i'm honored. thank you.

      Delete
  2. It's absolutely adorable! I totally agree with you, it's so easy to get stuck online looking at all the available quilting inspiration - kind of like I'm doing right now. I find the idea of making a mini quilt like this very appealing - a perfect way to try out a more complicated design than you might not have the patience for to do on larger scale. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. linn, yes! the mini quilts let you practice piecing, quilting, and binding without committing to weeks (or months) of working with the same quilt. and they are just plain fun.

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! Very cool on a nightstand! The pattern is also very fresh and the colors look great together. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.