5.13.2013

Mother's Day Photo Shoot: Red Paper Crowns




When my husband asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day I automatically replied, "French toast". But as the day drew near I found myself cutting simple paper crowns from leftover red construction paper. More suspiciously, as Sunday lolled on from French toast, to the little one's nap, to after-nap, I found myself making three red crowns and one small star wand. What I really wanted was a family photo shoot complete with handmade props. Fortunately, my husband agreed to play along. So we drove up into the Oakland hills and found a little picnic patch to call our own.



I donned us in our red paper crowns and we took to the picnic area and tall grasses. The little one was less convinced about his crown than he was the arsenal of small rocks and various narrow pathways. My dear husband wore his crown like any supportive father on a Mother's Day adventure--with some reservation but as much enthusiasm as he could muster. Our little one examined his crown quickly then tossed it aside and headed for the ample rocks and piles of soft dirt. So, I resorted to the number one lesson I've learned in my 19-months of parenting--stay flexible!




With that, we managed to frolic around the picnic tables, parking lot, and tall grasses until the sun had nearly set and the little one was weary with adventure.  It seems these lessons in parenthood and artmaking are colliding the further I move down this path wholeheartedly. The more I let go of expectations, the more I admit to my needs in the moment, the more I lay out the best damn plan I can manage and then respond to the environment and adapt as I go along. Then, the easier it gets. Which, of course, is not to say it's easy. It's just to say it's easier. Well, easier than resisting.



And, of course, sometimes the very best crowns are the crumpled crowns. The ones we dent, bend, wrinkle, and trample through our adventuring. My favorite photo is the one of Maxwell looking at his red paper wand, the dent in his crown glowing brightly from the afternoon sun, with my husband smiling approvingly from behind. Isn't it always the imperfection, the unexpected, the crumpled crown that proves to be our very favorite? Full of mishaps and opportunities to respond to a little magic along the way? Sigh. I'm just grateful they wore their handmade crowns.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mamas. 

xoxo,
k.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Mother's Day is such a special day. Little did I really know...

      Delete
  2. This is an adorable idea! I love the homemade crowns (who else to make the symbols of power and might, but the very one with the power and might?) With this, there is a little mystery. I wonder what the castle walls look like and where the horses stables are. The beauty of it is that it's all there in our own imaginations, and each is it's own kingdom.
    We pretend that there are castle walls (well, i do at least and Gil goes along with it) at the condo I work at. It's an old building with a court yard and a canopy of old trees and magnolias. It's magical in itself, but you should see what I see. It's amazing.
    Happy Mother's Day! First, there is the inaugural, but now the years are coming at us and chalking up a lot of beautiful days with our families. That is what is truly magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, your comment pretty much made my day. The castle. The horses. The imaginary Kingdom just out of view. Thank you for this! xo

      Delete
  3. I so very much love everything about this story, these photos and the flexibility all us mama's have to have ...giving in and not resisting is the story of my life...much love to you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Stef! It's so true. Learning when to adapt and when to hold firm. Oh, what a life lesson. Hi, you.

      Delete
  4. you all are the cutest. ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shash! It was a super fun day.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.