7.08.2013

Luckily, I can Cartwheel.










A public performance isn't exactly what I had in mind when I tossed my manual camera and tripod into the trunk as we drove off for an early morning hike. But, hey, that's what we got so we decided to go with it. It turns out that parents and toddlers are not the only ones climbing picnic tables and meandering hiking trails in the wee hours of a hot summer morning. It's also a good time for hardcore bicyclists. Heat + hills + bicycles = early morning hours.

And it turns out that the picnic area was just at the crest of the hill, not too far from the road, so it made for an obvious spot for an impromptu family photo shoot. But it also made for an obvious spot for the bicyclists to stop in the shade and guzzle water. But what I didn't anticipate is that they would congregate one-by-one until there was a small gaggle of bikers resting, pointing, laughing, hydrating, and commenting on our impromptu photo shoot-now-turned-mini-public performance. It's okay, though. Luckily, I'm a confident cartwheeler.

And I highly recommend this super simple, super silly, super fun photo-shooting to any budding photographers, summer adventurers, prized family album keepers, and confident or not-so-confident cartwheelers among you. Why? Because it's summer. And it's simple. And it's fun! That's three reasons that don't even require an artist statement or a recipe or a crafty manifesto. No sewing machines needed.

I'll be back soon with more content. Happy Monday, friends!

xoxo,
k

6 comments:

  1. This looks like one of those activities that would trigger some uncontrollable belly laughter in its participants. Excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! very much like that. but the belly laughter layered with chasing a giggly toddler. that too!

      Delete
  2. Katrina, very sweet post. I did a cartwheel for Jillan, my grand-daughter, recently and paid for it dearly the next day! Sometimes I have to remind myself I AM 50 now... but I do love cartwheels! My advice to you: KEEP doing them so that when you turn 50 you can still do them with ease! ~ Dori ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dori: this is very good advice! my sister was a competitive gymnast as a kid and when she was about 40 she impressed her son with a back flip. she paid for it with all sorts of aches and pains. but she did it! i'll keep working on my cartwheel. xo.

      Delete
  3. It looks like it was a lot of fun! Picture one is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thank you, friend. it was a very silly morning and good excuse to get everybody out of the house very early. we are all better behaved that way, it turns out.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.