11.18.2013

Timeout: 10 Minutes to Stop Instead


My friends,

I think this time in my life is about learning how to really say, "Stop". Even if that stop is just about stopping for 10 minutes so I can sit quietly or even silently at my kitchen table with a day-old pastry and a cup of hot tea. And even if that pastry is slightly stale and the tea is slightly too hot and none of that really matters because what matters is that I have the house entirely to myself for a few minutes of total silence and I can walk away from my studio and desk and stacking deadlines and just sit there with my tea and watch the steam curl up for the leaves of the fresh flowers on the kitchen table.

Yes. I think this is my lesson right now. Along with accepting the messy parts and the misaligned and, as I declared in my recent Motherhood Manifesto, that there is no balance out there looming on the horizon so we need to embrace our messy, heaving, lopsided lives right this very moment. So I am trying to practice what I preach. Leaning in with my own messy, heaving, lopsided life.


And sometimes I can say that and nod my head and then turn right around and do the opposite. Plan too many dates. Accept too many work offers. Stay up too late and wake up still feeling depleted. Even if that staying up too late was to watch a movie with my sweet husband and even if the movie was actually a really good movie in a finally quiet house after the little one was finally asleep.

Even if. Because, you see, the thing is that even if the work in my studio is very exciting work (and even if it's torture that I can't tell you anything about it quite yet) and even if I adore my friends and feel endless gratitude for their place in my life and even if my sweet husband is the absolute partner I want by my side--I still need to hit "stop". And be completely alone. With my thoughts. With my thinking. With my steaming slightly too hot tea. And yesterday's pastry.


And so today I had planned on telling you about the amazing art opening of my dear friend, Lisa Solomon, and her new gallery show Sen that opened on Friday night in San Francisco. And I had planned to tell you about all the amazing people who were there and all the powerful conversations that ensued. And then I wanted to tell you about the wonderful new craft fair West Coast Craft that happened in San Francisco this weekend and how inspired I was by the talented makers. And even show you the few goods that I couldn't leave without. Or tell you that I finally saw the documentary The Artist is Present about Marina Abramovic and her show at the MOMA and I can't stop thinking about it.

But the thing is--I took an extra 10 minutes and sat staring at the steam rising from my tea mug before plunging into my deadlines. And then I took photographs of that tea and stale pastry and of this weekend's farmer's market flowers bursting off in all directions with white, yellow, and then green. And I decided this was the most important thing to share with you about my week. This need to not just slow down because sometimes we can't slow down but sometimes, for just a few minutes, we need to actually stop. I needed to stop. And sit. Still. Maybe, just because it feels right.


So, happy Monday, you beautiful humans. I hope you can take a few minutes to actually and completely stop. And I'll see you here next week.

xoxo,
k

10 comments:

  1. hello katrina... my name is jenny. i found your blog through a link on amanda soule's blog. i live on the oregon coast. i love to make things when i can find the time (i have four little ones) :)... and i love this post. your so very right and i never really thought about it quite like that... even though i do it that way often... the completely stopping for a bit. i'm doing that right now... enjoying your words with my coffee :) thank you!
    -jenny
    http://phishybee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny, so nice to "meet" you. and so lovely that amanda has posted my project on her blog and sent you my way. wonderful. it is a delicate balance--the pause, the children, the crafting. i like to think the balance actually happens over several weeks. not always, for me, over a few days! welcome here.

      Delete
  2. I actually get up early (because I work really early) just for this reason. A quiet sit before the business of the day begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. this is a very good remedy. i use to take my quiet moments at the very end of the day. now i enjoy them more in daylight. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! The photos and your words are exactly what I needed to hear...especially at this time of year. I will make sure to take time to just sit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. christy: what a kind comment. so glad you were here to visit.

      Delete
  4. It's kind of funny, reading blog posts is my "timeout", so this made me remember why I do it! It seems that if you let it, your work load and other goings on can wipe out all free time. I am very thankful, however, that my 9 month old business has me so busy that I have to force a break and that at the same time, I have my eyes on payroll, hiring and growing this company. I never thought...Just as important as time spent on it, is the time away. It certainly is, however scarce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beth: congrats on your thriving business. why am i not surprised?!? yes, blogs can be a lovely timeout. and magazines too. and sometimes i just can't have any information at all for a quick timeout. just tea. hi you.

      Delete
  5. Tracee Dawn11/25/2013

    I just had to stop this morning, as well. And this was before I even found your words. meant to be, perhaps? maybe not. But a powerful reminder that actually stopping is something that happens far too seldom, so I will now make my own cup of too-hot tea, and watch the steam head towards the stained-glass flowers over my kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tracee: oh, meant-to-bes are lovely. yes, sometimes we just need to stop. everything. and be still. hope your tea was just hot enough.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.