3.24.2014

Save the Date: Friday, May 2, 2014


Friends,

I'm opening a new solo exhibition at The Rise Above Print Shop Gallery on Friday, May 2, 2014! The show, Still Time for Us Together in the Woods, is based on the show of the same title that was cancelled last spring when the gallery flooded. But now it's literally six times bigger and in a bigger space on a busier intersection in Oakland. And I'm about six times more nervous. And six times more excited too.


The exhibition is based on my poetry thesis from graduate school. It's not a literal translation from text to image but the world of the exhibition is based on the world of the manuscript. And the original artworks at the center of the exhibition are very much based on the stories and questions in the thesis.

Can sustainability and wilderness be meditations that disrupt or re-pattern our chaotic modern lives? How do we express intimacy? How do we communicate with lovers? And how does intimacy translate to our relationship with the environment? What happens when we impose human values and even domesticity on woodland animals?



The ten mixed media pieces are created from vintage photographs, images from children's books, embroidery, and applique with legendary Liberty London fabric. Each piece started with a vintage photograph from my family's stash or from found images I've collected at flea markets and thrift stores. Then I found animal photographs in children's text books and used the photocopier at my local library to make the images align. Then I made new digital prints of the hybrid photos and embellished them with fabric and thread. Then I created the rest of the installation from this hybrid space.


So how do ten prints become six stations in an interactive installation? Good question. The simple answer is scale: The new gallery space is so much larger than the first gallery space so I had a new opportunity to expand the work. The more complicated answer is about cross-disciplinary work creating an opportunity for dialogue and new ways of thinking.

The exhibition will include the ten original mixed media pieces, an interactive photo booth, a video by my husband--video and performance artist, David Szlasa--a collage of vintage photographs, original soft sculptures, one copy of my thesis, and two amazing local choreographers (Hope Mohr and Erin Mei Ling Stuart) performing live on opening night.



Join me! The exhibition will open on the evening on Friday, May 2, 2014 as part of Oakland's Art Murmur first Fridays art crawl. The exhibition will be up through Saturday, May 31, 2014 but the live performers will only be on site for the opening night. All ten original artworks will be for sale. There will also be soft sculptures for sale. And there are several opportunities to interact with the photo booth and the live performers. The gallery is located at 4770 Telegraph Avenue on the corner of 48th Street.

I hope to see you there.

xoxo,
k

10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing this all together! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and looking forward to seeing your video in the installation, my sweet. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you are able to show this afterall, and how wonderful it is to be able to pull and describe more of your inner workings and profundity toward this subject and your thesis with a larger space. I often think that when I look at art, and the meaning is either obvious or not so obvious to me as the observer, that the artist him/herself is a frenzy of color, light and focus inside, and the final product is the whirlwind that it is coming out in a tiny droplet of exact delivery and editing and appropriateness, and there is in fact, so much more to enjoy. So great! We'll see several "droplets" here!

    I hope the other shop you originally had planned to display is recovering and running again full steam. That was a heart breaker for all, and hopefully, the outcome is six times more prosperous and exciting for all! I wish I could see this in person. I love the whimsy and inner turning to your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love this phrase, "that the artist him/herself is a frenzy of color, light and focus inside, and the final product is the whirlwind". oh, if only everyone could view with this lens. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Way to use your local library! (wink, wink) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! i cheer for public libraries loudly and have several librarian friends. it was great fun to gather the books from the children's section then cozy up by the photocopier for a few hours. go libraries!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Katrina! My name is Heather and I was wondering if you could answer a question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi heather. just sent you an email. also happy to answer any questions here in the comment section too. thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. can't wait to see the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, shashtin! so close and yet so faraway.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.