6.02.2014

Exciting News--New Grant & Free Online Workshop!


Friends,

I have some very exciting news! I just found out that the Puffin Foundation will be supporting a FREE online workshop for my Make Thrift Mend project. I am over-the-moon happy with this news and couldn't wait to share it with you.

As many of you know, the Make Thrift Mend project is a yearlong fast fashion fast complete with DIY tutorials, a slow fashion resource list, and a documentation of my process in making, thrifting, and mending my wardrobe. (And the gallery section of the website will be updated in the next few weeks with a bunch of new projects--stay tuned!)



I wanted to point you to the Make Thrift Mend website and encourage you to join the mailing list to be the first to know about this exciting free workshop. I'm imagining the workshop will launch this fall, but I'll be sure to give subscribers several weeks notice. (Please note: I'm having some technical difficulties with my mailing list sign-up form on the Make Thrift Mend website, please use the sign-up form on my personal website for now. The link is below. Thank you!)

Once all the details have been set I'll be forwarding the information to the Make Thrift Mend mailing list first, then to my personal studio mailing list, and then to all my social media sites including this beloved blog, Instagram, Facebook, and the news section of my own websites. Space will be limited and the workshop will be offered on a first come, first serve basis. So I'm giving you the heads-up on how to be first in line. Because I adore you readers!


I feel such a tremendous amount of gratitude for the readers of this blog. You have encouraged me to keep doing what I do for the past seven years. Yes, this fall marks the seven year anniversary of this blog. I firmly believe that my creative practice would not be what it is today without this blog. Without you. All of you!

And so I want to be sure to give you priority in attending a free online workshop. A new workshop. A very exciting workshop. A workshop that I've been dreaming about since I started the Make Thrift Mend project last August.


So, be sure to head over to the mailing list and sign up. And don't worry, I've only sent one newsletter in my entire life and I will not ever turn into an email spammer. I pinkie swear. I hate email spam. I plan to use the Make Thrift Mend mailing list to spread important project news regarding workshops, major news, and opportunities to get involved. More so, I plan to let the subscribers have first dibs on this free workshop. At most, I will send this newsletter a few times each year, probably just once or twice.

You might also want to join my personal mailing list while you're at it as I just sent my first newsletter this spring. (Again, pinkie swear not to spam. I'm hoping this newsletter will be quarterly, but it will probably be even less frequent.) My personal mailing list includes news about exhibitions, publications, special shop offerings, or any other major studio news. You can sign up over here.



Some of you might remember this post I wrote a few months ago asking for your workshop ideas. I'm going to use this information in developing this new free workshop. But I would also be THRILLED (sorry, that needed all capital letters) if you could tell me what you would most like to learn about slow fashion. Just dash your thoughts off in the comment section and I will be so grateful.

Would you like to learn mending, darning, applique, elbow patches, hemming, or anything else about "visible mending"? Or maybe you'd prefer natural dyeing, simple sewing, or more information about resourcing sustainable fashion? Tell me your desires. I will collect all of this information and compile it into one new offering. Hooray!


xoxo,
k

PS--While the new online workshop will be free it will not stay open to the public. Meaning, you will have to pre-register to join. There will be a limited number of spaces for participants so be sure to sign up on one of my mailing lists if you want to be first in line. Thank you, friends!

10 comments:

  1. yay! This is really awesome. I'd love to hear more about where you get your inspiration for creating garments. Also, would love to learn how to do the sashiko stitching! Can't wait. Looks like I was on one of your email lists already, so I just signed up for your personal email list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! So happy you signed up for my mailing list as I'm trying to use that list for major announcements. And so happy to know your interest in sashiko and inspiration for design. Awesome. xoxo

      Delete
  2. This is super, super exciting! I signed up in both places so I don't miss it! I want you to know that your blog is one of my all-time favorites to read each week. I first found it when my daughter Andrea (from keeping it cozy) introduced me to it when you two met at the Blogger Awards in NYC. I've read every week since!!! :-) Thanks for all your very cool posts. - Dori -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dori, of course I remember you as Andrea's mother! I adored meeting her and wish we'd had more time to talk shop. I love her home tours on her blog--so gorgeous. Thanks so much for signing up for the new mailing list. And thanks for reading my blog, so grateful. xo

      Delete
  3. This is very exciting Katrina! I would love to to take part in any upcoming workshop - in particular I'd love to know more about darning or elbow patching. I am a keen cardigan wearer :) How thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! So great to see you here. I am still so grateful you gave me the term, "mendfulness". Thank you. And great to know you'd like to learn about darning and elbow patching. I am your fellow cardigan wearer, forever! xo

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!! And I so want to do this workshop. The thing I would most like to learn is the technique you used to fix your jeans rip. I have 3 pairs of jeans sitting on my sewing machine just waiting to get schooled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shauna! Thanks for the kind congrats. So excited about this grant and this opportunity to offer an online workshop for FREE. Great to know you'd like to learn more about sashiko mending for jeans. I too have a stack of denim on my desk, just FYI. Somehow that pile never really seams to go away. Argh. xoxo

      Delete
  5. I have problems signing up for your newsletter. Looking forward to following you and your projects, mlise
    [mlisesquirrel@gmail.com]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear my mailing list sign-up is still being pesky. I thought we solved the problems, but I will definitely look at it again. Technical difficulties! I'll be sure to post more information here when the workshop is available. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.