8.25.2014

Indigo Dye: The Results, The Reveals



My most recent dye experiment is now complete. The indigo garments and fabrics have been dried, rinsed, washed, and dried again. You can see the results in these photographs. The shirt and child's vintage dress were dyed by full immersion while the little leggings (my son's pajamas, I couldn't resist) and the scarf were dyed with a shibori folding technique resulting in the pattern. I also saved several strips of cotton thread that were used to tie and bind the fabrics--they were just too pretty and potentially useful to throw away.




The women's top is a silk and cotton blend, the scarf is linen, and the leggings, thread, and presumably vintage baby gown are all cotton. You'll notice that while the top and baby dress were fully immersed into the dye vat without any twisting, tying, or pattern-making techniques they still resulted in mottled color. I'm guessing this is because the dye vat was very full with garments and this didn't allow the fabrics to move freely in the dye. So some parts of the fabric might have been twisted, held air pockets, or even stayed above the dye creating this marbled or mottled look.



I'm still deciding how I'll use the linen scarf. Should I keep it as a scarf? Stitch it into a infinity scarf? Or cut the fabric into a top or tunic? Decisions, decisions. I already have a bag full of fennel waiting on my back steps for a dye vat so I'll have to move to the next project quickly. I'm also wrapping up the creations from my Make Thrift Mend project and will share the findings with you here soon. So much in-progress in the studio this month.




Hope you are having a wonderful week. And to my friends in the Sonoma and Napa areas most severely hit by the recent 6.1 earthquake in the Bay Area--my heart is with you. We woke to the shaking at 3:20am but we suffered little more than insomnia, anxiety, and a good sobering dose of reality that we do live in earthquake country. Please send an extra good wish to my neighbors just a short drive away in the North Bay.

xoxo,
k.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.