9.15.2014

Mendfulness in Taproot Magazine Issue 11: Mend


I'm over-the-moon excited to have my article published in the recent issue of Taproot Magazine. It's the "Mend" issue and I'm honored to have my writing and images of visible mending in the mix. I've loved the intersection of crafting, farming, homesteading, and sustainability that this magazine has been featuring since its very first issue. I'm proud to say I have all 11 issues carefully stashed in my studio with some other favorite art and design magazines.




This issue is brimming with gorgeous photographs, thoughtful essays, inspired craft tutorials, and delicious recipes that explore numerous angles of "mend". Yes, even recipes and photographs that are inspired by concepts of mend or mending. I posted about the word, mendfulness, a few months ago and I'm still so grateful to one of you dear readers for lending me this word. It manages to summarize my intentions and motivations with the Make Thrift Mend project and also with visible mending. This powerful word even became the title of my Taproot article. (Thank you, Jo.)



Some of you might already receive subscriptions of Taproot but if not you can purchase a subscription or an individual issue from their website. The magazine is totally independent and advertisement free and relies 100% on the support of subscribers. Just another reason to love their philosophy, dedication, and generosity in publishing such thoughtful and inspiring work. Did I mention I'm excited to have this article included in their magazine? Okay, thrilled might be better suited.

Thank you, Taproot! I hope readers will enjoy my contribution.

xoxo,
k

6 comments:

  1. ok…so I just bought it! I got it the first year it came out and then never renewed it. I can't wait to dig into this one. Seems like they picked the topic with you in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hooray! i hope you love this issue. i've been reading taproot since the very beginning and i just think it keeps getting stronger and stronger. i hope you agree. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. Thank you! I just devoured this article and looked up your project website for the list of resources. I was so over the moon, I shot off an email to you through Make Thrift Mend. I'm looking forward to reading through your posts from the year of your fast-fashion fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. laurie! so nice to meet you here. thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words. i just responded to your email too. your messages made my day. thank you.

      Delete
  3. yay katrina! so happy for you. i am so excited that you put an article in for mend... it fits you sooo perfectly :) i have all of the issues of taproot myself and love them so much. i am curious what your other favorite design and art magazines are? i would love to find more sources for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny. The list is endless! For favorite design and art magazines in print I'd have to say Taproot, Anthology, TAC: Magazine of Textile Arts Center, Uppercase, Kinfolk, and Selvedge are all gorgeous.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.