10.13.2014

Sashiko Visible Mending Workshop at Handcraft Studio


Friends,

I'm super, crazy excited to be offering my first craft workshop with Handcraft Studio School in nearby Emeryville, CA. I've loved their class offerings since they opened just one year ago and I'm honored to join their ranks of craft teachers. Handcraft is a beautiful, light-filled, modern, and inspirational classroom space in Emeryville. It's certainly one of the prettiest spaces where I've ever taught and, quite possibly, been a student either. It's that pretty. And their line-up of workshops is so inspiring. Truth be told, I've already registered for two other workshops this fall. I couldn't resist.


I'm offering a Sashiko Mending workshop on Sunday, November 2 from 1:30-5:30. This class is a new offering where we'll combine a project tutorial and a personally-assisted mending project too. Last I heard, class was filling at a steady pace so if you are interested please head on over and sign-up soon to reserve your spot. I hope to offer this class a few times, maybe even in a few locations, so I'm feeling really enthusiastic about spreading the news. I'd love to teach more textile and craft classes alongside my grantwriting and fundraising workshops. Fingers crossed.


This traditional Japanese sewing technique lends itself beautifully to contemporary crafts. Sashiko is the perfect stitch to mend existing garments or to create beautiful new textiles. In this workshop, we’ll discuss traditional techniques like Boro, Sashiko, embroidery, and quilting and their modern applications in Visible Mending and Slow Fashion.  We’ll also consider “mendfulness” and the creative opportunity in repair.


This workshop will lead participants through the making of one Sashiko potholder while sharing various inspiration for continuing beyond the classroom. Participants will also have the option to mend an existing garment with my help so they can leave the workshop with greater confidence and skill. (Denim jeans, wool sweaters, or beloved outwear are great options for visible mending.) Basic sewing and stitching skills are required.

All necessary materials will be provided but please bring one garment for mending and, if desired, your fabric patches of choice. Optional: Your own fabric scissors, thimble, fabric marking pencil, and ruler. Sashiko thread, Sashiko needles, potholder fabric, and practice Sashiko fabric will be provided along with additional tools to share.


Join me if you can! For those of you outside of the Bay Area, I'm also open to traveling to your community if you can gather enough folks to cover my travel costs and my teaching fees. Just to be clear, sleeping on the couches of my crafty cohorts is usually just fine by me. Contact me if you want to schedule a workshop in your area in 2015.

xoxo,
k

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all your kind words Katrina. So excited to have you teach at the studio. This workshop is going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! So excited to offer this workshop at your beautiful space. And so excited to share these techniques.

      Delete
  2. Friends: This workshop has sold out. Thank you for your interest and for supporting my work. I hope to offer additional Sashiko mending workshop in the months ahead. Check this blog or my websites for info. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.