11.03.2014

My First Book: The Paper Playhouse


My very first book is finally here! Well, it's finally available for pre-order and I can finally share the news with the world! After working on this project for over a year it's such a thrill to announce that I'm the author of the upcoming book, The Paper Playhouse: Awesome Art Projects for Kids Using Paper, Boxes, and Books to be published by Quarry Books in January 2015.

It's filled with projects that use up-cycled paper materials to make exciting contemporary projects for, or with, children. The projects range from my earlier work as a book artist to simple printmaking, paper sculpture, public art projects, and VW buses, Airstream trailers, Mid-Century Modern dollhouses, handmade books, mobiles, masks, and a classic lemonade stand.


Focused around accessible and everyday materials like shipping boxes, shoe boxes, junk mail envelopes, newspapers, maps, found books, and other paper ephemera, The Paper Playhouse has 22 projects aimed at inspiring families to create unique paper crafts. It includes artwork by over 20 leading contemporary artists in the curated gallery section; offers original quotes from celebrated authors, directors, and artists; and is packed with original photography by award-winning photographer, Leslie Sophia Lindell


As an added pre-sale incentive, I'm offering a special art print and signed copies on all books pre-sold through my Etsy shop. This is available for pre-orders purchased through my Etsy shop only, while supplies last before January 1, 2015. This is my way of saying, "Thank you so very much" for your pre-order support. Books are estimated to be released and available in stores in January. I cannot wait until I actually get to hold a printed version in my own hands. Dream come true.

I signed the publishing contract with Quarry Books in October 2013 and have been diligently and privately (and almost secretly) designing, making, writing, editing, re-editing, and otherwise collaborating with an amazing team of editors, designers, and publishers at Quarry. Not to mention, my dear friend and crazy-talented photographer, Leslie, was an amazing creative partner during all the photo shoots throughout this book.


In addition to the projects in the book I'm honored to have curated the gallery section to include over 20 inspiring, leading contemporary artists working with paper, boxes, or books in their professional art practice. I'll share more about these incredible artists, the book-making process, future book events, and the book's featured projects in the weeks to come.

Oh my goodness, it's real! The book is currently available for pre-sale through major online retailers including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Quarry Books, and once it's officially released in January it can be ordered through your local bookshop or anyplace where books are sold. It will also remain available as a special signed copy through my Etsy shop.


A few more words from the publishers: Artist, Katrina Rodabaugh, shares her artistic training and up-cycling sensibility in this unique and inspired book, The Paper Playhouse. With simple techniques including sculpture, printmaking, bookbinding, collage, and even ideas for public art, families work through step-by-step instructions while using imagination and budding aesthetics. This book goes beyond the typical paper craft project to include contemporary design references like Mid-Century Modern dollhouses, VW buses, paper monsters, costumes and masks, and the classic lemonade stand--all made with unique style and flair!

Pinch me. It's real. This dream really did come true. 

xoxo,
k.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Katrina, this is amazing! I'm so excited for you! I cannot wait to order the book and try some of your fun projects with my girls. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! So very excited. I'm going to search for you on FB and IG to see if I can connect with you there too. xoooh, k.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I can't wait to hold a copy!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thank you so much, David. For 1000 things.

      Delete
  3. Katrina, I'm really excited about this. I cannot wait to try your projects with my grand-girls. And congratulations to you too!!!! How in the world did you manage to keep it a secret for so long? :-) - Dori -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dori. It was SO hard keeping it a secret!!! I signed the contract in Oct 2013, handed in the manuscript in March 2014, then worked with the copy editors all summer. It feels like the work happened a lifetime ago already. Now, I cannot wait to hold a copy in my hands!

      Delete
  4. This is such great news Katrina! The book looks beautiful - I imagine it would be a lot of fun for adults as well as kids! Congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo! Yes, the idea is that it is filled with projects that could be made for kids as gifts or with kids as a family (or adult/ child) project. I secretly hope that some adults will make the projects for their own enjoyment too-- a few are more difficult and happily decorating my own studio already. Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.