8.31.2015

New Rhythms: From a Weekly to a Sometimes Blog


Friends,

My weekly blog is now evolving to become a "sometimes blog". After eight years of posting here every Monday I am allowing for a more flexible schedule in the months ahead. When I started this blog eight years ago I worked in an arts office Tuesday-Friday and spent long days in my studio on Mondays. At the end of a long studio day I would post here each Monday evening as a recording of sorts. This was before marriage, before motherhood, before my current freelance work. For eight years, I let that Monday writing rhythm stay the same.

But now my studio time is more like 30-45 minutes several times a day, seven days a week, often interrupted by little boys, deadlines, emails, and the comings and goings of a busy family. My weekly schedule has changed so much. With the addition of our littlest babe in March and with the big move from CA to NY on the horizon, I'm now letting this blog evolve too. I'm hoping this will allow for longer posts with more intentional writing. And yet maybe it will allow for shorter posts with more announcements. I can't be sure. I just know it's time to let this space evolve with so much changing in our lives. To let it grow alongside me.

After eight years of posting here it feels embedded in my studio work. The beginnings of my book are in this blog. The beginnings of published articles in arts management and mending and sustainable thinking are in this blog. The beginnings of my website, my Etsy shop, and how this has migrated to my current Instagram and Pinterest accounts all started here. Many of my blog relationships have grown into friendships, kindreds, creative and supportive community.  For this I am so very grateful. I never knew the power this space would have to influence my work and my life. (Thank you, thank you, thank you.)

But while my rhythms have changed I do still want to keep this space as a space to write. A space to share. Just a different sharing from the daily short form of photos and captions on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. Instagram has stolen my heart and it's my new favorite space to connect on a daily basis. But this blog has its special tug at my heartstrings too. Somewhere in the beginnings of my creative life I found my footing as a poet and a textile artist and while my work has evolved in so many ways I still keep my attachment to the written word. So this space stays a writing space. Just a "sometimes" writing space for now.

I'll be back soon. Likely with news of upcoming workshops and last California events before our big move in October. And then, of course, with photos of a farmhouse in the Hudson Valley that is patiently waiting to be my new home. New rhythms, new adventures, new horizons. 

xoxo,
k

4 comments:

  1. I will follow you anywhere !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing sentiment. Thank you, Deb. I'll be back to this space for certain, just not with the same weekly rhythm for the next few months. I'm about to move some mountains! xoxooh.

      Delete
  2. Sure will miss your voice every Monday and look forward to your sometimes posts. A gal's gotta change with the change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend. Yes, many changes in 2015. And some big changes on the horizon. I'll keep coming back to this space. Just need some flexibility in my schedule for the next few months while we make this move. Who knows what rhythm 2016 might bring. Thanks for sharing this space with me. Means so much. xoxo

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.