1.11.2016

Exciting News: Mending Workshops in NY, CA, and Maine



Happy New Year!

I'm thrilled to announce upcoming mending workshops in three different locations. In March I'll be back in California at the beloved Handcraft Studio School teaching my favorite Sashiko Mending workshop; in April I'll be offering this same Sashiko Mending workshop locally at Drop Forge & Tool in adorable Hudson, NY; and in May I'll be traveling to Portland, ME to offer a special daylong Mindful Mending workshop at A Gathering of Stitches.



If you've been curious about modern mending inspired by Japanese Sashiko and Boro; about sustainable fashion through creative and personal repairs; or about taking a workshop with me in-person... now is the time. These workshops often sell out so be sure to register quickly if you want to attend. In 2016 I'm also hoping to offer an online slow fashion workshop complete with mending tutorials so be sure to hop on over to my mailing list to be the first to know. For daily studio updates let's connect over on Instagram--my daily photo outlet to the big virtual world.


On Saturday, March 12 and Sunday, March 13 I'll be back in my beautiful California teaching Sashiko Mending with my dear friends at Handcraft Studio School! Join me in the San Francisco Bay Area for this favorite workshop. These workshops will include a Sashiko embroidery project, sustainable fashion resources, and individual attention to mend your garments. If you're anywhere near Emeryville, CA come join me for an afternoon. This is a truly gorgeous space filled with wonderful students and it's always a lovely gathering. I can't wait to return.


Saturday April 9 I'll be offering my Sashiko Mending workshop back in the beautiful Hudson Valley in Hudson, NY at Drop Forge & Tool. The owner of DFT is a friend of mine from California and I love what she's creating to support the local arts community here in Upstate NY so this workshop feels extra special--California meets NY in the best possible sense. This is currently my only local workshop so be sure to sign-up soon if you are in the area and want to join me. I'd love to meet you! Hudson, NY is just about two hours north of Manhattan by car or train. And it's adorable.


On Memorial Day weekend I'm thrilled to be teaching at A Gathering of Stitches in Portland, ME on Saturday, May 28. This workshop has been developed specifically for the retreat sessions offered by this amazing venue. It will be a daylong workshop focused on Mindful Mending--diving deeper into sustainable fashion, mindfulness, and the creative opportunity in repair. It will also give participants a chance to spend more time considering the design aspects of repairs and the beauty of slow stitches.

I'm honored to join the line-up of *amazing* teachers working out of AGOS in 2016. Seriously, have you seen the offering of classes on their website? I want to take every single workshop. Portland is such a wonderful and vibrant city that I haven't visited in years so I'm thrilled to return. I hope you'll join me if you are anywhere nearby. Or it could be a great weekend destination too--hint, hint.


I'm thrilled to be partnering with these three amazing spaces, run by three amazingly inspiring women, to offer mending workshops in three beautiful states. I've selected these spaces very carefully as I feel they truly embody the philosophy, aesthetics, community, and professional practices of a leading contemporary craft school. They are working diligently to create beautiful spaces that not only offer craft workshops but build creative community, support artists & makers, and consider the inherent value and importance of handmade objects.



Join me for these workshops--it will be a honor to share my sustainable fashion resources, to help support you in your own slow fashion journey whether that's mending one garment or starting a fast fashion fast, and more practically to work with you to mend your clothes through beautiful and purposeful stitches.

Happy 2016. Happy mending. Happy making. Happy wintery days that sparkle and shine.

xoxo,
k

10 comments:

  1. Wonderfulness! Travel as little one turns one. Such a landmark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Can't wait to teach at Handcraft Studio School again. I just love you Californias to the moon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to see you're teaching these! Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thrilled to be scheduling workshops for 2016.

      Delete
  4. Just discovered you! Checking in to see if there is a chance you'd be open to offering this in the South bay while you are here..I have a studio and would love to host you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your interest! At this point my upcoming CA trip is booked solid. I'm teaching at Handcraft Studio on Sat, March 12; Sunday, March 13; and we just added another workshop on Tuesday, March 15. I'm also co-hosting a free slow fashion event at A Verb for Keeping Warm on Friday, March 11 at 7pm if you are able to join us. You can contact me through the "contact" page of my website if you want to discuss future workshops. Thank you SO much.

      Delete
  5. Your photos of mending are so inspiring! I've finally started working on mending a pair of my husband's jeans that have holes in similar places and it's a lovely change to see it as a creative endeavor instead of a much-procrastinated chore.

    I've been following your blog for a couple years (although somehow never got around to commenting...) and was very amused when we had babies within a few weeks of one another and then proceeded to move from CA to the East Coast. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your farmhouse as you remodel! Such an exciting change after living in a small apartment (as we are still doing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn,

      Thanks so much for your comment. And for saying hello! I love to imagine mending as an opportunity for creative repair, a chance to apply our textile skills or artistic thinking to the act of fixing, repairing, and reclaiming our garments. It makes me cheer!

      And how wonderful that we have little ones that are close in age. And that we both decided to take the cross-country plunge. Such a plunge with children in tow. Very nice to "meet" you. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Hi Katrina,
    I dont sew but heard you speaking on Meighan O'Toole's podcast and loved every minute of it! I love your work and your way of thinking and wish more of the world would follow this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! Thanks so much for the encouragement. It's people like you that fuel me to continue with this work. Thank you.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.