3.02.2016

Upcoming: Slow Fashion Forum in Oakland, CA


Friends,

I'm thrilled to announce that on Friday, March 11 at 7pm I'll be co-hosting a free, community-building, slow fashion event at A Verb for Keeping Warm in Oakland, CA. This event was recently added to my lineup of mending workshops and I've asked several of my favorite slow fashion/ sustainable fashion/ slow textile artists to join me in public conversation. This is something of my Bay Area Slow Fashion Dream Team and I couldn't be more excited to join forces with these amazing artists for an evening of community building, conversation, and sharing our projects with the public. Here's just a brief biography on each of the artist who will join me for the panel:


I'm honored to be joined by friend and fine artist/ natural dyer/ expert colorist/ slow fashion advocate/ and kindred artist Sasha Duerr. Sasha approaches natural dyeing and natural color like nobody else I've ever known. She has a sensitivity and intuition and engagement with the natural world that is somewhat spellbinding.  Truly. If you have the opportunity to take a workshop with her and the Permacouture Institute please do it! She's also an author, fine artist, teacher, mama, and community builder very active in the Bay Area creative community.

>>> Sonya Philip <<<

I'll be joined by my dear friend/ artist/ fashion designer/ maker Sonya Philip of 100 Acts of Sewing. If you're at all interested in making your own clothing and you don't know where to begin I highly recommend checking out Sonya's project, patterns, and her various social media feeds. She's taking the fear of "perfection" out of handmade clothing and providing simple, stylish patterns and so much information on fabrics, sewing, styling, knitting, and creating a handmade wardrobe. Sonya is also a writer, artist, teacher, mama, and all around dear creative.


Next is the wonderful and inspiring Kristine Vejar artist, dyer, organizer, and owner of Oakland's finest A Verb for Keeping Warm. Kristine just published her first book, The Modern Natural Dyer, and it's a treasure trove of images, narratives, and DIY projects focused on natural dyes. This book is visually stunning. Kristine teaches workshops, hosts events, advocates for slow fashion and handmade textiles all while managing AVFKW--a yarn, fiber, and fabric shop complete with a classroom, dye studio, and beautiful outdoor dye garden. Kristine is a wonderful resource and also an inspiring entrepreneur, artist, author, and sustainable fashion advocate.

>>> Alice Wu <<<

Lastly, we'll be joined by the very talented designer, producer, curator, and artist Alice Wu. I met Alice many moons ago when we both lived in Brooklyn, NY and she was in the early days of her ethical fashion label, Feral Childe. She co-founded this fashion label with distribution in over 100 independent retail shops and some of the most creative, stylish, unique, and totally awesome clothing I've seen from a small label! The label has since come to a close but we are thrilled to have Alice's insight and her added perspective. She's now working as a curator, organizer, and fine artist and she's a wealth of knowledge regarding slow fashion.


I am so honored to share an evening of conversation with these talented women. When I launched my fast fashion fast, Make Thrift Mend, nearly three years ago one of the priorities was to host community events and participate in social action and what's often known in the art world as "social practice". So organizing mending circles; writing grants to offer that free online slow fashion workshop; last summer's Social Textile Experiments in our tiny art studio on Market Street in San Francisco; and this upcoming Slow Fashion Forum all help to push realize this goal in my project. And it's an honor to share this work with the broader public.

Lastly, we've added one more workshop to my offerings at Handcraft Studio School on Tuesday, March 15 from 11-3pm. (Saturday's workshop is sold out and there are just a few spots left on Sunday, March 13.) It's wonderful to be returning to the Bay Area to engage in this work and to continue making connections with this incredible community. And for those of you outside of CA, stay tuned, there will be more offerings for you in 2016.

xoxo,
k

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Katrina. I bet you are so excited for the trip! And I'm going to stay tuned hoping for a class within driving distance of me! :-) Andrea and I will be there!! xo - Dori -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dori! I hope to teach in your area too. I'm imagining 2017 might take my teaching to a wider reach. Thank you for your amazing encouragement. Always. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.