1.26.2017

New 2017 Monthly Project: Slow Fashion Series



I'm thrilled to announce a new monthly blog series right here for 2017: Slow Fashion Series. This will be a monthly interview with an artist, designer, maker, writer, or otherwise advocate for slow fashion. I sat down and quickly came up with a list of over 20 people I want to interview for this series and as there are only 12 months in a year I will not get to them all this year.

But I will initiate this conversation in this space because I want to engage these inspiring folks about their work, I want to acknowledge the way they have inspired my own journey towards sustainable fashion, and I want to share this information with a larger community like you. So I'll start with 12 interviews in 2017 and we'll see where it goes from here. I'm already imagining 12 won't be enough but sometimes we just have to begin.


As much as I'm passionate about mending, making, and thrifting a more ethical wardrobe I am equally as passionate about creating community and bolstering our efforts and finding avenues to engage in the conversation that will ultimately make the ethical fashion community stronger; our wardrobes more meaningful; and our "Mendfulness" more astute. I want to share this information with you and I want to participate in the active shift towards slow fashion.


Students in my workshops or folks online always ask how to get started with their own slow fashion journey. They speak of being overwhelmed, not being able to afford ethical designers, and not having the skills to make their wardrobes at home. I get it. I get all of it. It is overwhelming, I cannot afford to buy all new ethically made clothes, and I cannot make all of my clothes either. But yet I have been on this slow fashion journey, Make Thrift Mend, since August 2013 and there is so much we can do to be more ethical in our wardrobe regardless of our budget or our textile skills.

Modest shifts in our mindset, consumption, repairs, and awareness around fashion and our wardrobes can result in substantial changes over time. Sometimes, we just need a little more information to begin. I'm thrilled to provide some of that information here that might result in a catalyst for your own personal shift. I can't get enough of that Arthur Ashe quote, "Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can".


It's a new year, it's a new era, it's a new time and I want to use this blog space as a space to activate the slow fashion community by sharing stories, resources, and inspiration. I imagine this interview series could be weekly and could include various resources and links but for now I'm going to keep it simple and focus on a monthly interview series through 2017. I'm thrilled to share these stories with you. And I'm thrilled about the first feature so be sure to check back on January 31 for the first post. (Why, yes, I did manage to sneak this series in just before the end of the first month of the new year. Thank you for noticing. There's nothing like a good deadline in my book.)


One more note: Some of you have been following this blog since its earliest inception as my weekly studio blog ten years ago. I posted in this space weekly from 2007- 2015 and witnessed great changes in the internet community of artists and crafters over the eight years I was blogging weekly. I met great friends, colleagues, collaborators, writers, designers, artists, and otherwise amazing humans. Over the course of this time was the invention of Instagram and Pinterest in 2010 (Thank goodness) and several other online shifts.

But, personally, in Oct 2015 I moved from Oakland, CA to the Hudson Valley in NY to DIY renovate a 200-year-old farmhouse with my husband and our two (very) young sons. Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook are since my daily spaces to share studio insights, workshops, projects, and other news. They more easily fulfill my need to share information online and to build community virtually and locally too.


I've recently fallen in love with the creation of my monthly newsletter (Trust me, something I never imagined I'd say) as it has been restructured to now include an exclusive essay, a list of muses, shop updates, workshop news, and plenty of photos. In some ways Instagram and my newsletter have replaced my personal studio blog. But in interviewing Abigail Doan and Jessica Lewis Stevens in 2016 I realized how much I enjoy featuring other creatives in this space. Actually, I love it.


So, I'm thrilled to launch this new Slow Fashion Series next week. Be sure to connect with me through social media or my newsletter to learn of other projects and announcements in the coming weeks. I'm thrilled for this new series and look forward to the stories I'll be able to share here throughout 2017. Stay tuned... first series post coming soon.

UPDATE: This new series will not launch today, January 31st, as planned. But it will still launch soon. So please stay tuned while I work through some exciting prospects and make decisions about this new content. I'll be back to share the details with you soon. Or I'll be back to launch the series here as planned. Thank you for your interest and patience. Yours in slow fashion, K.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this series; I'm glad that the conversation continues on and on. I showed The True Cost to my fashion writing students, and although I hate to say it, I was surprised by how clueless most of them were. I think being out front about one's commitment to it is key. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good words. I'm thrilled about this series. It is always surprising when we check in with folks who are new to the understanding of slow fashion, or not yet aware of the inner workings of fast fashion. Cheers to you for educating your students on this important work.

      Delete
  2. I suppose it may be too late to get on the radar here, but I am thrilled that you are doing this! When I wrote Knit Green, it was amazing how hard it was to convince people that it was not just about knitting, but about clothes. (So that if you wore clothes, the information was for you!) I want to support your efforts however I can though, because I think this is such a big and meaningful topic. Thanks for doing this. (and yes, I'm sidelined a bit by my twins, who were born a bit after my book came out, so maybe not as vocal as I used to be!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait! I discovered you last year after your posting here slowed down but just loved reading through your archives and get so excited when I see something new pop up! Off to join your newsletter ��

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.